CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Cheap 4 axis cam

Posted by Fred Smith
on 2004-05-11 06:55:02 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, Mike McCaughey <mrmike@c...>
wrote:
> Mostly small parts that have some axial symmetry. Turbine fan
blades,
> nosecones with features that make lathe turning unattractive,
engraving
> on tubes and pipes, spiral grooves in round stock, and some jewelry
> keep me out off trouble at home.
>
> On May 10, 2004, at 3:56 PM, Fred Smith wrote:
>
> > --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, Mike McCaughey
<mrmike@c...>
> > wrote:
> >> I have a small cnc mill to which I'm adding a cnc'd rotary table.
> >> Can anyone recommend a (relatively) inexpensive CAM setup that
can
> >> handle a full 4th axis?

I'm assuming that you know the difference between a CAM, cnc
programming software program and a CNC CONTROLLER software program
which actually runs the machine.

Most of the popular CNC CONTROLLERS will run 4 axes simultaneously.
The problem is coming up with useful CNC programs that will use the
rotary capabilities, along with the linear axes.

One of the tricks that many beginners learn is that you can fool the
system by locking the Y table in position, centered under the
spindle, and then swap the cable (NOT UNDER POWER!) on the Y axis for
the one on the A axis. Whatever is drawn or programmed flat, becomes
a rotary part. That is by far the cheapest approach. However it
won't work too well for "real" rotary axis parts like fan blades and
going past 360 degrees can get somewhat confusing to visualize.

Another inexpensive trick is to simply add the angular commands,
manually, to your standard 3 axis programs. This permits you to
machine say 90 degrees of your part, command A90.0 and then machine
the next 90 degree section. If your parts are all indexed (like
gears), and not simultaneous rotary contouring, this is an
inexpensive solution too.

For 3D simultaneous contouring, you will have to spend some money.
Vector-cam is the most powerful program with 3D rotary axis
capability for less than $1000 (hobby price). It includes lathe,
mill, and 4 axis wire EDM/foam cutting, 3D surface design and
machining, and rotary axis programming. The rotary axis programming
includes full 3D capability, and has a routine to engrave on the
surfaces of round or non-round cross sectional tubing. If you have a
preferred 3D design program already, Vector has a commercial class
IGES import capability, can access Rhino3d, .3dm files directly, and
also handles .stl files.

Fred Smith - IMService
We are THE source for low cost Cad-Cam
Hobby discounts and specials are at:
http://www.cadcamcadcam.com/hobby

Discussion Thread

Mike McCaughey 2004-05-10 13:52:01 UTC Cheap 4 axis cam Michael Milligan 2004-05-10 15:52:01 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Cheap 4 axis cam Bob McKnight 2004-05-10 15:55:56 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Cheap 4 axis cam Fred Smith 2004-05-10 18:08:22 UTC Re: Cheap 4 axis cam Mike McCaughey 2004-05-10 18:59:27 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Cheap 4 axis cam Vince Negrete 2004-05-10 19:15:32 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Cheap 4 axis cam Fred Smith 2004-05-11 06:55:02 UTC Re: Cheap 4 axis cam