CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Proper size of capacitors for transient suppression?

Posted by washcomp
on 2004-05-12 16:43:09 UTC
Tom:

Thanks much. Out of the fogs of the 30 years since my EE degree what
you say makes a great deal of sense.

I'm going to do what you suggest and then see what happens. If I've
lived a clean <G> life, maybe I'm just paranoid and I shouldn't be
worrying so much.

Regards,
Jeff

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "caudlet" <thom@t...> wrote:
> > of the following types (ground is by a seperate #6 AWG Cu. bus):
> >
> > DC voltmeter leads
> > Connections to remote Enable relay coil
> > +5, +12, +24 volts DC lines
> > E-Stop contacts
> > MPG encoder leads
>
> Dc voltmeter use a 10mfd cap.
> Connections to remote enable relay if it's just driving a relay
coil
> don't work about it.
>
> All DC lines need 100mfd to 1000mfd caps a the end fartherist from
> the source.
>
> E-stop contacts. Hopefully this is back through an opto to give
you
> some noise immunity. Probably won't be a problem but a .1mfd cap
> would not hurt.
>
> MPG Encoder leads....now this one could be a problem. It's the
wires
> that should be shielded and isolated if possible (our good ole
friend
> the optoisolator. I would work to try and keep the grounds of the
PC
> [...]
> For low voltage logic levels they create termination problems, and
> the bigger wire has different characteristics, like higher
> capacitance (yes, wires have capacitance, inductance, and
> resistance.) By far the biggest problem with getting low level
logic
> signals down a pair of wires is the capacitance. Since larger wire
> has more surface area (like a plate on a capacitor) bigger wires
> running alongside other wires tend to have more crosstalk (I say
tend
> because the spacing of the wires has to do with it as well as the
> frequency and rise times on the signals). In short You don't buy
> yourself anything by running low current, low voltage signals in
> bigger wire. Voltage loss is a factor of the raw DC resistance and
> the amount of current involved. At a few milliamps it takes a lot
of
> wire to have enough resisitance to matter. Take #26 wire. It has
> 43.6 ohms of resistance per 1000 ft (.044 ohms/ft). At 20ma the DC
> voltage drop would be .088 volts at 100ft. Think about your
phone.
> The actual signal on the wires is small and you can run that
miles.
> They use #20 or smaller for most runs. The run a "balanced pair"
> meaning that the pairs are twisted and not ground referenced. Any
> noise (and there can be volts of noise) is on both conductors and
> cancels out. If either of the wires get ground referenced you will
> get a loud "hum" on the line.
> >
> > The pendant also has the keyboard emulator embedded. I have
heard
> of
> > people connecting each terminal through a capacitor to ground (56
> > terminals? Ee Gads!)
>
> Treat the keyboard signals like its an extended keyboard to the
> computer. Shielded wires. If you have false triggering then
> consider making sure the DC power source for the keyboard is well
> filtered. The problem here is that the PC ground and keyboard
ground
> offer a ground loop opportunity. Since you already have a low
> impedence ground via your star grounding scheme the ground from the
> keyboard if connected to the PC ground might setup a ground loop
and
> be a noise conduit. Hopefully there is enough debounce in the
> signals to reject noise. If noise becomes an issue you will
probably
> have to buffer the signals back to the computer. I don't think the
> individual keys will need caps back into the chip as long as the
chip
> is close to the keys.
>
> Glad to see you are close to switching things on. We all await
your
> results!
>
> It sometimes counterproductive to try and determine where noise is
> going to occur. Take care of the obvious and deal with the

Discussion Thread

washcomp 2004-05-12 06:11:48 UTC Proper size of capacitors for transient suppression? Roy J. Tellason 2004-05-12 08:32:16 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Proper size of capacitors for transient suppression? caudlet 2004-05-12 09:32:11 UTC Re: Proper size of capacitors for transient suppression? washcomp 2004-05-12 10:35:20 UTC Re: Proper size of capacitors for transient suppression? caudlet 2004-05-12 15:42:50 UTC Re: Proper size of capacitors for transient suppression? washcomp 2004-05-12 16:43:09 UTC Re: Proper size of capacitors for transient suppression? Andy Wander 2004-05-12 18:35:14 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Proper size of capacitors for transient suppression? Jon Elson 2004-05-12 19:11:27 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Proper size of capacitors for transient suppression? Jon Elson 2004-05-12 19:32:49 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Proper size of capacitors for transient suppression? washcomp 2004-05-12 19:41:58 UTC Re: Proper size of capacitors for transient suppression? JanRwl@A... 2004-05-12 20:13:53 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Proper size of capacitors for transient suppression? washcomp 2004-05-13 03:28:57 UTC Re: Proper size of capacitors for transient suppression? Andy Wander 2004-05-13 04:53:12 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Proper size of capacitors for transient suppression? Andy Wander 2004-05-13 05:57:29 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Proper size of capacitors for transient suppression? jmkasunich 2004-05-13 07:08:54 UTC Re: Proper size of capacitors for transient suppression? Andy Wander 2004-05-13 07:25:51 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Proper size of capacitors for transient suppression? Jon Elson 2004-05-13 09:40:00 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Proper size of capacitors for transient suppression? ballendo 2004-05-13 09:43:47 UTC Re: Proper size of capacitors for transient suppression? Jon Elson 2004-05-13 09:47:12 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Proper size of capacitors for transient suppression? Jon Elson 2004-05-13 09:52:41 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Proper size of capacitors for transient suppression? Andy Wander 2004-05-13 09:59:36 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Proper size of capacitors for transient suppression? Roy J. Tellason 2004-05-13 11:28:40 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Proper size of capacitors for transient suppression?