CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: CNC MILLING SCULPTURE/BUST

abramhatch wrote:

>If you have a good 3d image say from an expensive scanning machine,
>what kind of a cnc milling machine do you need to make a sculpture?

Depending on the object and the extent of the surface you want to carve,
you might only need a simple 3-axis machine like a Taig, Grizzly minimill,
or similar. If you want an entire head or bust, you probably need at
least 4-axis capability, and a more sophisticated CAM program to
generate the coordinated 4-axis moves. I've heard of some people doing
this by selecting patches of the surface and cutting them at one setting
of the rotary axis, and then stepping some distance over on the rotary
and doing the next patch. The rotary axis can be a dividing head or
rotary table turned on its side, and mounted on the table of a conventional
mill.

For the most sophisticated stuff, you might need 5 or 6-axis capability,
but that gets insanely complicated to set up properly.

abramhatch 2004-05-13 19:57:25 UTC CNC MILLING SCULPTURE/BUST Jon Elson 2004-05-13 20:38:11 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] CNC MILLING SCULPTURE/BUST abramhatch 2004-05-14 10:34:27 UTC Re: CNC MILLING SCULPTURE/BUST hal_eckhart 2004-05-14 21:09:23 UTC Re: CNC MILLING SCULPTURE/BUST Jon Elson 2004-05-14 21:44:38 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: CNC MILLING SCULPTURE/BUST Fred Smith 2004-05-15 12:29:13 UTC Re: CNC MILLING SCULPTURE/BUST