CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] CNC MILLING SCULPTURE/BUST

abramhatch wrote:

>I am interested in creating portrait sculpture using 3d scanning and
>cnc milling. Can any point me in the right direction?

Yeah, I sure am, too. I did some intense net searching about this a
couple of years ago, and the big stumbling block was photo =>
3D conversion. I found a couple of companies that had software
that could take several photos and convert to a point cloud. One of
them had a great bust of a person. I inquired how they did that, and
they apologetically told me that it took 8 hours of work by an expert
to identify the same spot on several photos to the software, over and over,
so the software could match up the 3-D coordinates. In other words, it
really doesn't work well with faces, but does great on buildings with
sharp corners. I don't know if the software has improved any since
then. Given a point cloud, I think I could even figure out how to do
the rest myself.

There seems to be some advances in the 3-D scanning machines, too,
but they are still REALLY expensive.

abramhatch 2004-05-13 19:57:25 UTC CNC MILLING SCULPTURE/BUST Jon Elson 2004-05-13 20:38:11 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] CNC MILLING SCULPTURE/BUST abramhatch 2004-05-14 10:34:27 UTC Re: CNC MILLING SCULPTURE/BUST hal_eckhart 2004-05-14 21:09:23 UTC Re: CNC MILLING SCULPTURE/BUST Jon Elson 2004-05-14 21:44:38 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: CNC MILLING SCULPTURE/BUST Fred Smith 2004-05-15 12:29:13 UTC Re: CNC MILLING SCULPTURE/BUST