CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: plazma cutter

on 2000-04-24 07:34:20 UTC
Mark,

Your web page about working with fabric brought back memories, not all
together pleasant. I used to design and build machines to fold fabric (bed
sheets, pillowcases, etc.). We used programmable controllers, and could
fold up to 30 pieces per minute with one operator (for the smaller items).
It was a PITA trying to make fabric do what you wanted.

Lame CAD/CAM content: We had some of the parts made on tape cnc machines,
but we didn't have our own. Mostly they were sideplates with a large number
of holes and slots.

Contact me off the list if you want.

Tom

Message: 8
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 00:16:43 -0400
From: taylorma@...
Subject: Re: plazma cutter.

At 03:45 PM 4/23/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Hello list,
>Does anyone have experience with an x-y table for a plazma cutter. It
>seems to me that the resolution would not have to be high. I was
>thinking about welding bicycle chain to angle iron instead of buying
>rack gears. I know that this technique works well for sawmill tables.
>Comments, suggestions?
>Bob B.

While my table is not a plasma cutter the concept is the same. Anyway,
I used chains to pull my first table around instead of welding them to
angle iron as you are suggesting but it worked ok (for a while). I'd
go with the gear racks - it'll save you a lot of trouble in the long
run. As far as the resolution goes, I found out if the resolution of
the 'mochine' is less than the cutting width, you won't have any
problems.

Here's a picture page on my table(s), it might give you an idea or
two.

http://www.esper.com/taylorma/mochines/

Later -

O-Tay (tm)
Mark A. Taylor (U$UA 15484)
http://www.esper.com/taylorma

Discussion Thread

SMITH, THOMAS B. (JSC-DX) 2000-04-24 07:34:20 UTC RE: plazma cutter