CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Mac & EMC

Armilite@... wrote:

> Programers:
>
> #1 Where do I go to download EMC?

ftp://ftp.isd.mel.nist.gov/pub/emc/emcsoft/

> #2 Is it possible to compile the EMC program for a Mac and use Mac
> Linux?

Maybe. Compiling is not the problem, although library differences might
drive you
nuts. But, you need the real-time extensions to the Linux kernel. As
far as I know,
currently, only the x86 architecture is supported with RT extensions.
there was serious
talk about making RT a permanent kernel option, which kind of implies it
would become
generic on all platforms.

> #3 Does anyone know of any company who makes a Mac controll for
> steppers/servos?
>
> #4 How much Hard drive space and memory does EMC require?

A fair bit to compile, but you can kill most of the source code once you
have it built.
The download file, with all source, is a little over 3 MB. It probably
expands to
6-7 MB source. The executable is pretty small, but the TkTcl GUI and
its associated
script files take up some room. On a Pentium system, EMC will run
nicely in as little
as 16 Mb (entire machine's memory), but 32 Mb is a good thing to have,
so that the
X system doesn't run short. I can edit programs, have network support
up, and have
no trouble at all.

> #5 Would a Pentium 133 MHz be ok with EMC?

I'm using a 100 MHz Pentium on a servo system with no problems. The
Xwindows
environment runs just fine, etc. while the servo system is being updated
at a 1000 Hz
rate. So, a 133 MHz Pentium is absolutely fine for servos.

Matt Shaver and I are working on a parallel-port I/O system for EMC. It

will support a flexible group of quad 16-bit DACs, quad channel encoder
counters and opto-isolated digital input and output boards. Initially,
we intend
to use this on the PC, with EPP (Enhanced Parallel Port) support
available on
most motherboards. I don't know what the Mac hardware and software
support
of the parallel port looks like, but our same hardware should be able to
work
on the Mac - with suitable development.

Jon Elson 2000-04-24 09:19:31 UTC Re: Mac & EMC