CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Plasma Cutter

Posted by Jay Hayes
on 2000-04-24 08:29:56 UTC
Rack and pinion is definitely the way to go for a CNC plasma. Plasma cutting generates a lot of abrasive dust. The rack and pinion
drive can be oriented so the rack will be self cleaning. By spring loading the pinion drive, the back lash is eliminated. My CNC
plasma has been cutting in production for fourteen years, without any problems with the rack and pinion drive. I would not recommend
chain, cable, timing belt or ball screws for this type of application.

Just my 2 cents.

Jay Hayes