CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Mac & EMC

Bert Eding wrote:

> Jon.
>
> I didn't know that You and Matt are working on a parallel port
> solution for
> EMC,
> very good.
> I experimented a little with steppers, my conclusion, I prefer
> servo's,
> the STG card however is a big ($$$) problem.
> Please keep us informed.

Well, I have a schematic hacked out for a 4-channel quadrature encoder
counter that
interfaces directly to (EPP) parallel port signals. So, that is a
one-chip solution, programmed
onto a Xilinx FPGA. I also have some parts of an interface worked out
for controlling the
Burr-Brown 7744 quad 16-bit DAC. It has all the features of the Maxim
MAX547 (is that
the right part number that is used on the STG card?) such as
simultaneous DAC updates,
but is 16-bits instead of 13, and 2 quad DACs cost less than the one
Maxim octal part.
That will take care of most of the servo control part. Then, there will
be optocoupled
digital in and out.

Yes, I have worked with steppers, and while they have their place, I
don't like them
at all for precision motion systems.

Bert Eding 2000-04-24 10:53:53 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Mac & EMC Jon Elson 2000-04-24 12:32:41 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Mac & EMC