CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Rigid or flexable couplings

Posted by caudlet
on 2004-05-19 16:50:40 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "callcbm2000" <callcbm@d...>
wrote:
> I built my router with rigid couplings and the encoder plug failed
so
> I found top speed of the machine .The ball screws that I used for
the
> X axis was turned down to 5mm and the coupling is a machined 2" od
> alum with removable caps to tighten to the shaft with friction fit.
> So when it crashed I was not worried I believed the coupling would
> slip. This has only minute's time. But it twisted the shaft clean
at
> the neck this was machined so it would not have stress or failure.
> Suggested on modifying the coupling and putting a new end on the
> shaft. I bored it out and put a dowel pin in but not sure of how to
> anchor so if it crashes again there will be some slip.
>
> Thanks Randy

Methinks you are trying to fix the wrong thing. Instead of trying to
design something that will let the motors slip when they crash,
engineer the machine so it won't crash. Put limit switches on all of
the axis that are tied to the motor DC source and will shut things
down before you get to a point where shafts get twisted. This is the
best argument I have seen to not rely on limit switches back to the
software to shut things down. Slip clutches are great but unless they
are tuned perfectly they will slip when they shouldn't.

Discussion Thread

callcbm2000 2004-05-19 15:39:25 UTC Rigid or flexable couplings caudlet 2004-05-19 16:50:40 UTC Re: Rigid or flexable couplings