CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Any info on Superior Electric Slo-Syn NTC

Posted by metlmunchr
on 2004-06-04 18:55:54 UTC
Andy, if it's a true NC control (as opposed to CNC) and requires a
punched tape to control every move, and the tape is the only means
of input, I'm afraid you'll find there's no fun involved at all. A
shop where I worked part time when in hi school bought a new NC
bridgeport around 1968 to 1970. They bought it to machine aluminum
valve bodies used in ejection seats on military aircraft and figured
they'd have it running full time on all kinds of other jobs too.
One of the 3 owners did the programming and made the tapes. He was
a sharp cookie, and he still learned to hate it in short order. It
did a good job on the valve bodies and paid for itself on those
parts, but it wasn't worth the effort on many other parts unless
several hundred copies of the same part were to be made, and unless
curves were involved, they'd still run several hundred part orders
on manual bridgeports and let the NC sit there. On the other hand,
your steppers provide a good starting point for a modern retrofit
with a PC based control. If you're not familiar with CNC machining
already, do yourself a favor and do the retrofit. Your chances of
success and enjoyment will multiply by several orders of magnitude.

Cliff

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Raymond Heckert" <jnr@a...>
wrote:
> What kind of 'iron' does the controller run. Is it a Bridgeport?
>
> RayHex
>
> ----------
> > From: andycollins250 <acollins@n...>
> >
> > Hi Folks,
> >
> > I've just bought my first mill and it has a "Superior Electric
Slo-Syn
> > NTC (Numerical Tape Control)" system with it. It's my intention
to fit
> > something PC based in time but I thought it would be fun to
check out
> > the NTC first.

Discussion Thread

andycollins250 2004-06-03 10:21:00 UTC Any info on Superior Electric Slo-Syn NTC JanRwl@A... 2004-06-03 21:05:15 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Any info on Superior Electric Slo-Syn NTC andycollins250 2004-06-04 01:57:20 UTC Re: Any info on Superior Electric Slo-Syn NTC Raymond Heckert 2004-06-04 17:11:57 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Any info on Superior Electric Slo-Syn NTC metlmunchr 2004-06-04 18:55:54 UTC Re: Any info on Superior Electric Slo-Syn NTC andycollins250 2004-06-05 10:37:14 UTC Re: Any info on Superior Electric Slo-Syn NTC andycollins250 2004-06-05 10:42:23 UTC Re: Any info on Superior Electric Slo-Syn NTC