CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Any info on Superior Electric Slo-Syn NTC

on 2004-06-05 10:42:23 UTC
Hi Cliff,

Thanks for the input. When I first came across the machine, I saw it
as a starting point for a retro fit as you suggested, but as the
tape system is included I thought I try and find out as much as I
could before taking out the snips ;-)

Cheers.

Andy.

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "metlmunchr"
<metlmunchr@y...> wrote:
> Andy, if it's a true NC control (as opposed to CNC) and requires a
> punched tape to control every move, and the tape is the only means
> of input, I'm afraid you'll find there's no fun involved at all.
> shop where I worked part time when in hi school bought a new NC
> bridgeport around 1968 to 1970. They bought it to machine
aluminum
> valve bodies used in ejection seats on military aircraft and
figured
> they'd have it running full time on all kinds of other jobs too.
> One of the 3 owners did the programming and made the tapes. He
was
> a sharp cookie, and he still learned to hate it in short order.
It
> did a good job on the valve bodies and paid for itself on those
> parts, but it wasn't worth the effort on many other parts unless
> several hundred copies of the same part were to be made, and
unless
> curves were involved, they'd still run several hundred part orders
> on manual bridgeports and let the NC sit there. On the other
hand,
> your steppers provide a good starting point for a modern retrofit
> with a PC based control. If you're not familiar with CNC
machining
> already, do yourself a favor and do the retrofit. Your chances of
> success and enjoyment will multiply by several orders of
magnitude.

> Cliff

Discussion Thread

andycollins250 2004-06-03 10:21:00 UTC Any info on Superior Electric Slo-Syn NTC JanRwl@A... 2004-06-03 21:05:15 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Any info on Superior Electric Slo-Syn NTC andycollins250 2004-06-04 01:57:20 UTC Re: Any info on Superior Electric Slo-Syn NTC Raymond Heckert 2004-06-04 17:11:57 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Any info on Superior Electric Slo-Syn NTC metlmunchr 2004-06-04 18:55:54 UTC Re: Any info on Superior Electric Slo-Syn NTC andycollins250 2004-06-05 10:37:14 UTC Re: Any info on Superior Electric Slo-Syn NTC andycollins250 2004-06-05 10:42:23 UTC Re: Any info on Superior Electric Slo-Syn NTC