CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: HPGL to G-Code widget

Posted by caudlet
on 2004-06-05 09:06:56 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "hal_eckhart"
<tusputs02@s...> wrote:
> This isn't really all that clever, but it might be handy
> for some (like me) who don't have much experience with
> g-code. As much as I really really hate CorelDraw, it works
> well enough for spitting out the sort of HPGL I need for my
> plasma cutter. And it seems that it gets mentioned often
> enough on the list.
>
> So here's a little tool for anyone who wants to try it. The
> idea is that it will take an ordinary HPGL file (formatted
> like Corel does) and ouput a usable if not pretty g-code
> version. I'd be interested if anyone can make sense of it,
> or perhaps has any suggestions about how to make it better.
> As long as it doesn't take too much work. Also, the PHP
> source is posted on the blog if you feel like playing with
> it yourself.
>
> http://www.metalgeek.com/sandbox/gcode.php

If you would like something with a little more control (lead-in's,
cut direction, start points, offsets, etc) for plasma go over and
download the free beta of SheetCam at www.sheetcam.com. It's a work
in progress but already shows great promise. It supports modifiable
posts and we, (the group Torchheads), are working with Les to have a
CAM application that is a true plasma CAM rather than a generic
milling program with some features that work with plasma. He already
has put in a separate torch section that supports the lead-ins,
pierce height, cut height, cut speeds and other elements that make it
better tuned for plasma cutting. What control software are you
using? He has posts for TurboCNC, Mach2 and several others.

Don't be too ashamed that you use CorelDraw. For 2D artwork creation
and the import and export of many different file formats it is hard
to beat. I can draw something in minutes with Corel, pass it through
SheetCAM and have it running with MACH2 on my plazma table on less
time than it takes to just do the drawing in more complex packages
(and I have several). There are things you can do with Corel with a
single click of the mouse that takes lots of special steps in other
packages. I have hundreds of designs that are in Corel format and
access to thousands of others in clean vector format that Corel will
import. Contact me off list and I will send you some Corel (ver 9)
files that you can play with.

Make sparks!

Tom C.
Torchhead

Discussion Thread

hal_eckhart 2004-06-03 20:55:38 UTC HPGL to G-Code widget caudlet 2004-06-05 09:06:56 UTC Re: HPGL to G-Code widget tusputs02@s... 2004-06-05 09:50:49 UTC Re: HPGL to G-Code widget tusputs02@s... 2004-06-05 10:25:34 UTC Unintentional flamebait james_cullins@s... 2004-06-05 11:39:16 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: HPGL to G-Code widget metlmunchr 2004-06-05 12:56:04 UTC Re: Unintentional flamebait caudlet 2004-06-05 19:53:04 UTC Re: HPGL to G-Code widget