CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: HPGL to G-Code widget

on 2004-06-05 09:50:49 UTC
On 6/5/04 4:06 PM, caudlet thom-at-tcaudle.com |yahoo| wrote:

>If you would like something with a little more control (lead-in's,
>cut direction, start points, offsets, etc) for plasma go over and
>download the free beta of SheetCam at www.sheetcam.com.

Hi Tom,

I downloaded it, but I can't remember what it does. I'll have to take a peek
later when I get to my windoze box.

>we, (the group Torchheads)

Ahh. I'll have to check it out. But I just checked around, and I can't seem to
find it. What's the actual url?

> What control software are you
>using?

Well, now that's embarrassing. I bought a Torchmate kit many years ago that uses
Microkinetics stuff. It's junk, but I've got it working, more or less. The best
method is start the cut and quick unplug the keyboard so there's less chance
that it bombs the computer. Basically, it's just a ISA card that runs some teeny
steppers directly. So the noise has a nice path right onto the bus! And crappy
DOS software that only takes HPGL-1. Someday I'm going to have to spend some
money and get something better.

>Don't be too ashamed that you use CorelDraw. For 2D artwork creation
>and the import and export of many different file formats it is hard
>to beat. I can draw something in minutes with Corel, pass it through
>SheetCAM and have it running with MACH2 on my plazma table on less
>time than it takes to just do the drawing in more complex packages
>(and I have several).

I'm not ashamed, just irritated. Corel likes to break imported files into pieces
and then close the open paths with garbage. Its drawing algorithms are flawed
and it loves to do things like invert HPGL files for no apparent reason. Even if
they were exported by itself! I mostly use it for conversion, because it's just
easier to draw in an actual Cad program (for me). I've been using QuickCad
forever, and I'm just used to it. It does plenty enough 2d stuff, and I like the
command structure. Single key snap changes and customizable too. And about $60.

Thanks for the feedback!

Hal Eckhart - Casa Forge - Minneapolis MN - <http://www.XXXXXXXXXXXXX>

Discussion Thread

hal_eckhart 2004-06-03 20:55:38 UTC HPGL to G-Code widget caudlet 2004-06-05 09:06:56 UTC Re: HPGL to G-Code widget tusputs02@s... 2004-06-05 09:50:49 UTC Re: HPGL to G-Code widget tusputs02@s... 2004-06-05 10:25:34 UTC Unintentional flamebait james_cullins@s... 2004-06-05 11:39:16 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: HPGL to G-Code widget metlmunchr 2004-06-05 12:56:04 UTC Re: Unintentional flamebait caudlet 2004-06-05 19:53:04 UTC Re: HPGL to G-Code widget