CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Stuck between a rock and a hard place: Z axis conversio...

Posted by cnc002@a...
on 2004-06-24 20:21:13 UTC
In a message dated 6/24/2004 10:36:59 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
elson@... writes:

Hello All,

>I'm retrofitting a Bridgeport Series 1 clone (a machinist's dynapower, to
be exact) and am
>stuck on the z axis motion. The mill is in my father-in-law's shop, and
while he's very
>interested in CNC control, he desperately wants to keep full manual control
of his mill as
>well.

Hello:

Would your Father-in-Law accept manual control using switches to move the
head manually? You could have a manual speed control so you could control the
speed with which you move the axis and use the pushbuttons to position it.
If you plan on having a totally mechanical manual control then you will have
problems. If you make it easy to move then more than likely the accuracy will
suffer as I think you already know. If you make it so the accuracy is good,
the mechanism will likely be very stiff and hard to move, especially in the
up direction. On most of the CNC machines I have seen they have the manual
speed control with an axis select switch and you move that axis with
pushbuttons.

Hope this sheds some light for you.

Randy Abernathy
4626 Old Stilesboro Road NW
Acworth, GA 30101-4066
Phone / Fax: 770-974-5295
Cell: 678-772-4113
E-mail: Cnc002@...

I furnish technical support, repair, and other related services for your
industrial woodworking machinery. My background as Senior Service Engineer for
the SCMI Group for nearly fifteen years with factory training, combines with
my extensive background in electronics, mechanics, pneumatics, electrical and
CNC machinery to offer you needed support for your machinery.

cnc002@a... 2004-06-24 20:21:13 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Stuck between a rock and a hard place: Z axis conversio...