CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: 2 phase, 6 wire motors connections

Posted by rotarysmp
on 2004-07-16 01:47:07 UTC
Hi Lloyd,

A six wire motor was designed to be driven unipolar, therefore it
generates it's rated torque with one coil energized. Wiring both
coils of a phase in series will not generate more torque, just the
same torque at 1/2 the rated current. The trade off is a much
steeper torque drop off with speed.

The only reason to use both windings in series is to match a low
inductance motor to a low powered drive like the Xylotex or L297/298
based ones.

If you think about that case, say you have a 5A motor and Xylotex
2.5A driver, you are powering a ferrari with a three cylinder suzuki
motor :)

http://geckodrive.com/ycom/documents/C163R21_step_motor_white_paper.pd

Regards,
Mark

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Lloyd Leung" <lloyd@l...>

Lloyd Leung 2004-07-14 18:26:08 UTC 2 phase, 6 wire motors connections JanRwl@A... 2004-07-14 19:08:37 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] 2 phase, 6 wire motors connections rotarysmp 2004-07-16 01:47:07 UTC Re: 2 phase, 6 wire motors connections jeffalanp 2004-07-16 13:06:42 UTC Re: 2 phase, 6 wire motors connections