CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Boss 5

Posted by vavaroutsos
on 2004-08-15 17:08:00 UTC
Nathan, Glentek (www.glentek.com) does make AC servo drives with the
NEMA 42 face and you can get them with the extra long shaft like the
boss uses. They have some low RPM models that will fit where the
steppers are. They also have a metric series which is fairly
reasonably priced. You will need to make a face plate adapter and
bore the pulleys a bit larger to fit the 19mm shafts. Glentek also
offers modular drives for a fairly reasonable price or you can watch
eBay for used drives from Emerson, Allen Bradley, etc.

I think a tool changer for the kwik switch 200 will be quite
difficult. The tooling doesn't have anything for the changer to
handle it by and the way the nut releases would be difficult to
automate. You would also need to have an encoder on the spindle to
line it up with the ears on the tooling.

~petev

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "rocketscientistnate"
<rocketscientistnate@y...> wrote:
> Thanks to everyone for your help with my BP Boss 5 question. I
> would probably go with the Geckos, but I think they need a lot of
> heat sinking, and running at max current probably wouldn't be that
> good for them for extended periods of time. (I'm hoping to run it
> 12-16 hours a day) There isn't any cheap way to change to servos
> and do something similar is there? Is there a way to add a tool
> changer to this? It has a Universal Kwik Switch 200. I think I
> will probably sell it and get something a little newer anyway. If
> anyone is interested, my webpage is
> www.clymermachine.com/4sale.html
>
> Thanks again
> Nathan Clymer

Discussion Thread

rocketscientistnate 2004-08-15 08:31:51 UTC Boss 5 Jon Elson 2004-08-15 11:24:41 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Boss 5 metlmunchr 2004-08-15 15:53:43 UTC Re: Boss 5 vavaroutsos 2004-08-15 17:08:00 UTC Re: Boss 5