CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: can six wire bipolar be wired parallel?

Posted by rllalonde2000
on 2004-08-16 15:36:48 UTC
Thanks guys! that clears it up and then some.

Rick L.

In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "jeffalanp" <xylotex@h...> wrote:
> Hi Rick,
> Without opening the motor, your six wire motor can typically be
> wired three differnet ways:
> Unipolar
> Bipolar half winding.
> Bipolar series winding.
> Thus it can not be wired for bipolar parallel
>
> With bipolar half winding, you will have the same current
requirments
> as the unipolar rating. With bipolar series, you would use half
that
> amount.
>
> For example a stepper rated at 4 amps unipolar could be run bipolar
> half winding at 4 amps as well (the wire inside can handle 4
amps).
> However if you want to run series. The number now becomes 2 amps.
> This amperage rating will get you the same torque as the
> unipolar/half winding rating. Since the wires can handle more
> current, you *could* run more current through them, and
manufacturers
> often take the unipolar rating, multiply by .71 to get the number
> use, which in this case would be about 2.8A (more current, more
> torque... to a point). Note however, that at this point the motor
> core would be "saturated". This is fine if you want to run FULL
step
> mode, but bad if you want to run with a microstepping drive. This
> much current will smear out any smoothing advantage microstepping
> produces leading to a rougher system. In this -series- winding
> example, somewhere between [2.0A and 2.8A] would be the optimal
> current level for the motor to acheive most torque while still
> getting the benefits of microstepping.
>
> Jeff
>
> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "rllalonde2000"
> <alalonde@s...> wrote:
> > I'd sure appreciate it if anyone could answer for me if a six
wire
> > bipolar stepper can be wired for parallel. Thanks.
> >
> > Rick L.

Discussion Thread

rllalonde2000 2004-08-16 10:18:10 UTC can six wire bipolar be wired parallel? Robert Campbell 2004-08-16 10:38:27 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] can six wire bipolar be wired parallel? Alan Marconett 2004-08-16 10:58:31 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] can six wire bipolar be wired parallel? turbulatordude 2004-08-16 11:28:10 UTC Re: can six wire bipolar be wired parallel? jeffalanp 2004-08-16 12:16:33 UTC Re: can six wire bipolar be wired parallel? rllalonde2000 2004-08-16 15:36:48 UTC Re: can six wire bipolar be wired parallel? JanRwl@A... 2004-08-16 16:34:32 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] can six wire bipolar be wired parallel? Jon Elson 2004-08-16 18:20:34 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] can six wire bipolar be wired parallel?