CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Abby __Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Clarke Mill/Drill for CNC conversion?

Posted by Mike Kunz
on 2004-08-17 07:14:00 UTC
Abby,

Looks like the Grizzly mill, but with a different paint job and different
name on it.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.cfm?itemnumber=g1007&&gid=6B703395-B05E-48AC-8674-2E497B589AF5&site=grizzly&gid=6B703395-B05E-48AC-8674-2E497B589AF5&site=grizzly

I have one of these which I am presently converting. It was actually my
intention to spend the first week of my summer vacation this year
converting mine to CNC, but I got wrapped up in a protoyping development
project and won't get it completed until September now.

This mill is readily convertible and there are even commercially-made
conversions of the mill available in the US. For a superb set of plans
that are sold for making this conversion, email Jeff Davis. His site is
http://www.homecnc.info/ and he has excellent follow up answers to
questions after the sale. Jeff also built my 4 axis control unit, which
runs on Mach2.

Best wishes on your search.

Mike

At 08:28 AM 8/17/04, you wrote:

>Hi guys,
>
>I found this, rather inexpensive mill/drill (available near to me, as
>I'm in London, UK). What are your thoughts/warnings/advice on this
>for a CNC conversion? There's a store nearby, so I'll go and take a
>look at it: I was wondering what other things I should be checking
>for other than basic sturdiness?
>
>http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.asp?p=060711225&r=2043&g=106
>
>I'm already aware of the dangers of trying to convert a quill for the
>Z-axis, but this one seems to have it's own leadscrew for the Z-axis
>(check the third handwheel at the base..) I have access to a college
>machine-shop, so I won't have too much problem with making up the
>conversion pieces.
>
>I was also contemplating redoing the nuts from Moglice, as I read
>these tend to perform much better, and have less backlash. I was
>thinking I'd go with gears, rather than belt-drive to reduce some of
>the backlash as well....
>
>Does anyone else have exerience with this type of machine?
>Thanks again!
>~Abby
>

>Addresses:
>Post Messages: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
>
>Subscribe: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
>timg@...
>Moderator: pentam@... indigo_red@...
>davemucha@... [Moderators]
>
>OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
>If you wish to post on unlimited OT subjects
>goto: aol://5863:126/rec.crafts.metalworking or go thru Google.com to
>reach it if you have trouble.
>http://www.metalworking.com/news_servers.html

>sister site to the CCED group, as many of the same members are there, for
>OT subjects, that are not allowed on the CCED list.
>
>NOTICE: ALL POSTINGS TO THIS GROUP BECOME PUBLIC DOMAIN BY POSTING
>THEM. DON'T POST IF YOU CAN NOT ACCEPT THIS.....NO EXCEPTIONS........
>bill
>List Mom
>List Owner
>

>Yahoo! Groups Links

Discussion Thread

Abby Katt 2004-08-17 05:29:04 UTC Clarke Mill/Drill for CNC conversion? Paul 2004-08-17 06:05:19 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Clarke Mill/Drill for CNC conversion? Mike Kunz 2004-08-17 07:14:00 UTC Abby __Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Clarke Mill/Drill for CNC conversion? millplans 2004-08-17 13:37:04 UTC Re: Clarke Mill/Drill for CNC conversion? stuart dean 2004-08-18 01:36:41 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Clarke Mill/Drill for CNC conversion?