CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Clarke Mill/Drill for CNC conversion?

Posted by millplans
on 2004-08-17 13:37:04 UTC
Here is a site that sells kits to CNC the same type of mill:
http://www.cncmasters.com/CNC%20Jr%20Mill.htm

Ron Steele
http://www.stirlingsteele.com/millplans.html

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Abby Katt" <cnc@a...> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I found this, rather inexpensive mill/drill (available near to me,
as
> I'm in London, UK). What are your thoughts/warnings/advice on this
> for a CNC conversion? There's a store nearby, so I'll go and take a
> look at it: I was wondering what other things I should be checking
> for other than basic sturdiness?
>
> http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.asp?p=060711225&r=2043&g=106
>
> I'm already aware of the dangers of trying to convert a quill for
the
> Z-axis, but this one seems to have it's own leadscrew for the Z-
axis
> (check the third handwheel at the base..) I have access to a
college
> machine-shop, so I won't have too much problem with making up the
> conversion pieces.
>
> I was also contemplating redoing the nuts from Moglice, as I read
> these tend to perform much better, and have less backlash. I was
> thinking I'd go with gears, rather than belt-drive to reduce some
of
> the backlash as well....
>
> Does anyone else have exerience with this type of machine?
> Thanks again!
> ~Abby

Discussion Thread

Abby Katt 2004-08-17 05:29:04 UTC Clarke Mill/Drill for CNC conversion? Paul 2004-08-17 06:05:19 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Clarke Mill/Drill for CNC conversion? Mike Kunz 2004-08-17 07:14:00 UTC Abby __Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Clarke Mill/Drill for CNC conversion? millplans 2004-08-17 13:37:04 UTC Re: Clarke Mill/Drill for CNC conversion? stuart dean 2004-08-18 01:36:41 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Clarke Mill/Drill for CNC conversion?