CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Anaheim

Posted by Bob Muse
on 2004-08-17 21:08:12 UTC
Hi Nathan
I have been using Anaheim Automation stuff for probably 15 years. Don't
know too much about their new drivers, but most of the earlier hardware was
based on the "bi-level" technology. Briefly, when the driver is given a
step command, it energizes the coil with a relatively low voltage and
simultaineously with a high voltage pulse that lasts only a short time, a
kick so to speak, after which the steady low voltage keeps the current
flowing. This gives fairly good performance. I have an AA model #
DPD72002, 7 amp driver and a Pac Sci high performance stepper motor powering
the rotary axis (12" dia faceplate/chuck) on my 20X40 mill. It screams!! I
can't compare to Geckos because I have never used or even seen a Gecko run.
All this may not even apply because the new AA drivers are microstepping and
I can't see how that would be done with a bi-level scheme.

I know that AA has good customer technical support, but then from what I've
seen here and elsewhere, Mariss sets the standard for customer support. The
only driver that I have personally used that I would consider better than
the AA units is a Compumotor S6. I tried both of these drivers on a series
II Bridgeport and they way outperformed the Superior Electric drivers I was
using. I think that when you factor in the cost, you won't find a better
driver than the Gecko, that is unless you get real lucky on ebay. :-)

Hope this sheds a little light on the subject.

Regards,

Bob Muse
Machine-Tech Engineering