CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: bridgeport stepper motor specs - help

Posted by Keith Clark
on 2004-08-21 09:33:56 UTC
Jeff, What drives do you use to move your Bridgeport so fast? I
have mine wired at half winding with 7 amps and am limited to 20ipm.

thanks
Keith Clark

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "washcomp" <jeff@w...> wrote:
> I have a Bridgeport 2J with a unique table (which gives a bit of
an
> edge on speed). I have my BP's NEMA 43 motors (no name plate, so
I'm
> tending to be conservative) wired at half winding. Voltage is 67
> volts (still can run over 200ipm, so why go faster). I've set the
> current of my drives at about 5 amps for testing(and will probaly
go
> to 4-4.5 amps for production). Since I'm running at half winding,
> the current should be half that used if the motor was parallel
wired
> (and the same as it would be if series wired). At 5amps the
motors
> run hot. I can keep my hand on them, but barely. My drives are
> fan/heatsink cooled and get warm. It's a half baked way to do
> engineering, but seems to work. I think higher current settings,
> hile providing a little more torque at a slower speed, might also
> reward me with overheated stepper motors.
>
> If Les (or anyone else) knows better (I'm kinda winging this), I
> would love to hear their advice.
>
> Jeff
>

> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "metlmunchr"
> <metlmunchr@y...> wrote:
> > It's been so long since Bridgeport or Hardinge made anything
with a
> > stepper it's kinda doubtful you'll find any great repository of
> > helpful info there, and probably nothing nearly as helpful as
the
> info
> > Les posted. Mine are 8.5A and 58 VDC per the manual. I'm
planning
> > run the Geckos at the full 7A and wire as Les recommends.
Mariss
> has
> > assured us in the past that the necessary safety factors are
> > engineered into the Geckos and that they are designed to run at
full
> > rated voltage and amperage on a long term basis.
> >
> > Re Hardinge ownership of Bridgeport: That BP survived for so
long
> > under the ownership of Textron is testimony to what a good
product
> > they had. Textron bought and killed more than a few companies
with
> > their conglomerate management style, but BP survived, even
though
> the
> > effects of Textron were noticable. Hardinge Bros has never been
> known
> > for cutting corners to squeeze another nickel out of a machine.
> > Chances are BP will prosper under their ownership.
> >

> > --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "theokspindoctor"
> > <theokspindoctor@y...> wrote:
Time,
> > > any

> > > I wish BP was in business. Hardinge now owns them and we are
> > > waiting for someone to call us back... thanks

Discussion Thread

theokspindoctor 2004-07-19 21:27:25 UTC bridgeport stepper motor specs - help Les Newell 2004-07-20 01:22:52 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] bridgeport stepper motor specs - help JanRwl@A... 2004-07-20 15:12:33 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] bridgeport stepper motor specs - help theokspindoctor 2004-07-20 15:14:55 UTC Re: bridgeport stepper motor specs - help metlmunchr 2004-07-20 16:27:13 UTC Re: bridgeport stepper motor specs - help washcomp 2004-07-20 16:58:54 UTC Re: bridgeport stepper motor specs - help Raymond Heckert 2004-07-20 19:56:24 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] bridgeport stepper motor specs - help Keith Clark 2004-08-21 09:33:56 UTC Re: bridgeport stepper motor specs - help washcomp 2004-08-21 11:48:37 UTC Re: bridgeport stepper motor specs - help Keith Clark 2004-08-21 12:30:53 UTC Re: bridgeport stepper motor specs - help washcomp 2004-08-21 12:37:24 UTC Re: bridgeport stepper motor specs - help Keith Clark 2004-08-21 12:39:13 UTC Re: bridgeport stepper motor specs - help