CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Do I have to go to servos?

Posted by R Rogers
on 2004-09-17 19:48:13 UTC
Jon Elson <elson@...> wrote:
kdoney_63021 wrote:

>I finally got my mini mill tuned in and I was running a circular
>pocket program; everything was going great until Z got to -.092 and
>then the X and Y started to wander.

What does wander mean? Did the motors just start turning randomly?
Did they all drift some amount and then start moving correctly again?
I can't answer for Mach2 (I think that's what you are running, now).
Maybe you should send your program to Art, or another Mach2 user, and
see if it causes a problem on their machine, too.

///////////

Already did Jon. I copy and pasted the program he posted into a text document and ran it on mine with Mach2 and it ran fine. Zero'd out about 20 times in a row upon completion.

/////////////

Since you are in Fla, are you sure your power is good?

If it was working fine up to now, why do you assume steppers can't handle
simple machining tasks? Have you run this same program before without
a problem? Does it cause a problem in the same place with this program
if you run it again?

What I'm saying here is that the motors are the LEAST likely to be the
cause of this. But, you might have a chip stuck in the ways, and a stepper
system will blindly go on rattling and pushing without warning the computer
there's a bind-up. Even a common hobby-level servo system may do no
better in some cases, although a Gecko 320/340 will fault after 128 step
pulses without movement.

Jon

Addresses:
Post Messages: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com

Moderator: pentam@... indigo_red@... davemucha@... [Moderators]

OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
If you wish to post on unlimited OT subjects goto: aol://5863:126/rec.crafts.metalworking or go thru Google.com to reach it if you have trouble.

NOTICE: ALL POSTINGS TO THIS GROUP BECOME PUBLIC DOMAIN BY POSTING THEM. DON'T POST IF YOU CAN NOT ACCEPT THIS.....NO EXCEPTIONS........
bill
List Mom
List Owner

Yahoo! Groups Links