CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: New to this Group and new to CNC machine operations!

on 2004-09-26 17:10:30 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Tim" <sgt_tim1@y...> wrote:
> Hello all! I have a serious question. I want to machine aluminum
> into a mold for a plastic injection machine. The molds will be for
> small parts used in Z scale model railroad applications. I have no
> experience with either CNC operations or milling machine operations
> or plastic injection machinery operations.
>
> I have it within me to learn quick, but I would like to propose
this
> question to all. What type of CNC milling machine set up would be
> the best for the above mentioned operation? Please elaborate on
> every detail. Thank you!
>
> Tim

Hi Tim,

That is a tall order. Kinda like saying I'm new to model railroads
and want to know everything about engines, so please elaborate on
every detail. :)

My first comment would be to find out how large a block you would
need to use to make a mold. That would dictate the work area for
your potential machine.

Rong-Fu makes a table top milling machine that can be CNC'd, or if
you wanna go top of the line in retro-fits, a Bridgeport may be found.

If you can live with a lot smaller footprint, the mini-mill may be a
good choice.

I think that determining the work envelope is the first order of
business.

Then, google a machine like Rong-FU and CNC to read what others have
done.

Dave

Discussion Thread

Tim 2004-09-25 22:25:35 UTC New to this Group and new to CNC machine operations! Marcus and Eva 2004-09-26 09:45:03 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] New to this Group and new to CNC machine operations! turbulatordude 2004-09-26 17:10:30 UTC Re: New to this Group and new to CNC machine operations!