CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Looking For something

Posted by caudlet
on 2004-10-01 07:07:45 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Michael" <djmickyg@h...>
wrote:
> Why 3d? Because it looks better when I have to present the finished
> product.
> I have had experience with using 3d type programs such as 3D studio
> but this program can make stunning 3D models but nothing will be to
> scale and I wont have any dimensions, I was just after a more
> specialized program in what I'm trying to do.
>
> I'll try and get my hands on a copy of inventor to see if it's what
> I'm after, I have seen some pictures of it before and it did look
> interesting.
>
> Rhino3d is more more of your 3d generating program and less
accurate,
> yeah?
>
> Thanks for your help Mick

No, you can get very accurate with Rhino3D. It's output can be
imported directly into a 3D CAM program and used to build a cut
program to make precision parts. It is a full blown 3D drawing
and modeling program with lighting effects. The output can be made
to scale but typically in product illustration the emphasis is on
visual porportion. I am not anywhere near being an expert in Rhino
so you should get your technical detail from someone that uses it as
their primary tool. Learning a new CAM program is always a
challenge since every programmer has their conception of how things
should be done and what they should be called. People that invest
the substantial time into a specific program will tend to prefer it
over the unknown. If your end goal is to use the package as a CAE
and presentation tool then the needs/requirements may be different
than if you were trying to draw precision parts to run with a CNC
machine. I know that the tolerance in doing a roll cage design with
the bends and welds will not be .001 inch. I use my 2D stuff to do
designs for front panels (including the engraving) and to layout
sheet metal for chassis work. If I want to show a customer a drawing
(most people cannot look at a 2D drawing and mentally translate that
to real world 3D) I use a simple isometric plug in for my 2D
illustration package.

Discussion Thread

Michael 2004-09-30 01:10:47 UTC Looking For something caudlet 2004-09-30 07:42:32 UTC Re: Looking For something Hal Eckhart 2004-09-30 08:18:07 UTC [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Looking For something Michael 2004-09-30 20:25:33 UTC Re: Looking For something caudlet 2004-10-01 07:07:45 UTC Re: Looking For something