CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Touch Probe Tips

on 2004-10-09 16:09:05 UTC
It's actually disgustingly accurate and works very well for finding
the edge or the center of the work.

I do understand about the "one mistake" thing. I actually found a
bug in Mach 2 and proceeded to run a drill cycle with it in the
collet. Hence, the fourth segment is how to make one from bar stock,
which also works very well.

Insofar as tool height I will be making (and showing) how to make a
tool height offset probe in the near future. It's all based on the
same concept. Move a little, check for input, and repeat until
true. From there it's all software as to the application.

I'll work on other features/applications as I get the time.

But, thanks for looking.

Aaron Moss
www.IndustrialHobbies.com

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, R Rogers <rogersmach@y...>
wrote:
> Electronic edge finders have two big draw-backs. First, if you are
mistakenly in continuous jog instead of step jog on touch off, we
only get to make that mistake once. Secondly, Idle Edge finders that
are mounted in a collet or worse in a drill chuck are succeptable to
not being concentric with the spindle axis i.e. chip alongside collet
shank. I prefer the kick-out type edge-finders running at about 1k
rpm, One can see if it is running "true" or not. They are always
accurate.

> Now, if this is for mapping a 3-D surface and building a program
from that data, I'll be all over that :-) It'd also be good for
setting up your tooling in holders and measuring their lengths. Stand
the probe up on table and touch off with all your different cutters
in holders for a particular program . Storing that info in your tool
library for CAM generation. I dont know if Mach2 has that capability.
Calling out a tool number in the program and it automatically
calculates the cutting depth. Some of the CAM softwares do.

> To take this a step further we could come up with a spindle mounted
probe that is telescopic and compression spring loaded, mount a small
linear encoder within it. Move the probe about any 3-dimensional
surface and map its features. Using the X-Y-Z data collected to build
a wireframe that could then be generated into a part program. That'd
be nice.

> Ron
>

> industrialhobbies <admin@i...> wrote:
>

> For all of you that are interested we at Industrial Hobbies have
> started a new tip segment about making and using a touch probe in
> Mach 2.
>
> Without a doubt the touch probe will find it's way into your short
> list of favorite accessories.
>
> If you would like to find out more please go to
> www.IndustrialHobbies.com
>
> Thanks
> Aaron Moss
> www.IndustrialHobbies.com

timg@k...
> Moderator: pentam@c... indigo_red@q... davemucha@j... [Moderators]
>
> OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
aol://5863:126/rec.crafts.metalworking or go thru Google.com to reach
it if you have trouble.

a sister site to the CCED group, as many of the same members are
there, for OT subjects, that are not allowed on the CCED list.

> NOTICE: ALL POSTINGS TO THIS GROUP BECOME PUBLIC DOMAIN BY POSTING
THEM. DON'T POST IF YOU CAN NOT ACCEPT THIS.....NO EXCEPTIONS........