CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Encoder recommendations

on 2004-10-29 14:57:49 UTC
US Digital encoders are great for Geckos [you do not want or need the
differential output due to the current draw], but you need to look at the
tradeoffs of how much resolution you will need vs the speed at which you
will get it!

In my case, I mounted 500 line encoders on the ball screw and get 0.0001
resolution! With my current setup, this allows rapids on the order of 90 IPM.
If I were to go to lets say 2000 line encoders, my resolution goes to
0.000025", BUT do to the speed of my computer, I have to slow down things
and only get 38~ IPM

As for using linears, UNLESS you have ABSOLUTELY NO BACKLASH, the table
will sit there and oscillate and maybe even violently! Been there tried
that when I switched from DRO to CNC.

Also last time I checked, the max you could get is 500 line which
translates into 0.0005" and will this be enough resolution for you??

Just some thoughts.

Bubba

At 11:24 AM 10/29/2004, you wrote:

>I just got a great deal on ebay for 3 servo motors. :-)
>
>Problem was, all of the encoders were broken.:-(
>
>I now have to replace them but was wondering what was recommended. I
>am using gecko 320's with Mach2 and would like the highest
>resolution. Motors are 4000 rpm no load and will be running about
>1000 rpm when on the machine. Back of shaft is 1/4" and 3/4" long. I
>would like to use US Digital since I'm familiar with them.
>
>How about linear feedback instead?

Bubba

OLDER THAN DIRT
Country Bubba
(Actually the inventor of Country and Bubba)
In God We Trust

LaGrange, GA

http://bellsouthpwp.net/A/r/Arts_home_page/cnc/

kdoney_63021 2004-10-29 08:24:59 UTC Encoder recommendations A. G. Eckstein 2004-10-29 14:57:49 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Encoder recommendations R Rogers 2004-10-29 18:19:20 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Encoder recommendations bryan b 2004-10-30 19:51:32 UTC Re: Encoder recommendations