CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Is this a blown Gecko?

on 2004-11-02 12:01:50 UTC
Steven,

Thank you for your reply, the problem is that I live outside the US,
so sending the Gecko to Geckodrive is not feasible.
So do you think it's just the transformer you mentioned that needs
replacement? I can do very well with a soldering Iron.

Help is really appreciated.

Best regards,

Mina F.
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, Steven Ciciora
<sciciora@A...> wrote:
> I'm sorry to say, but it sounds like you killed your gecko.
Please call
> the helpful folks at geckodrive.com. They have been known to
replace _one_
> for free, and are willing to try to repair it. If it is not
economical to
> repair, they will let you know. They know all the common failure
modes,
> but if there are any burnt traces on the PCB, it's not worth
fixing.

> Are you very experienced with a soldering iron? Several people
have been
> sucessful fixing their geckos by replacing the output
transistors. I think
> they are IRF 530s or 540s. The exact part number should be in the
archives...

> Hopefully in the next few months, the "vampire" gecko will be
released,
> which will be protected from common mistakes like the one you made.
>
> Good luck,
>
> - Steven Ciciora
>
> At 02:37 PM 11/1/2004 +0200, you wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >I got a couple of geckos 320 for my lathe, I connected one of
them to X axis
> >a couple of months ago, it has been working fine (not real work,
just some
> >trials every now and then) until today I was taking some
measurements with
> >my multimeter when I think I accidentally connected the +75VDC to
the Arm+
> >terminal with the multimeter probe, nothing happened just a very
small spark
> >on the probe, no smoke but the gecko would not work and also it
heats up
> >very rapidly.
> >
> >Is this a blown gecko? can it be fixed?
> >
> >Please advise.
> >
> >Mina F.

Discussion Thread

Mina Aboul Saad 2004-11-01 04:38:11 UTC Is this a blown Gecko? Steven Ciciora 2004-11-02 07:48:56 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Is this a blown Gecko? mina_aboulsaad 2004-11-02 12:01:50 UTC Re: Is this a blown Gecko? Jon Elson 2004-11-02 21:42:54 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Is this a blown Gecko?