CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] alternative Windoze emulators for Linux

Posted by Doug Fortune
on 2000-05-13 10:42:51 UTC
lawrence jackman wrote:

> > Dan Falck wrote:
> >
> > > I bought "win4lin" from www.trelos.com and installed it on my Mandrake 7.0
> > > computer last night. I was laughing about it the whole time. It's a way of
> > > installing Windows under linux and keeping it in line. It runs as an
> > > application in Linux. I have some screen shots of Windows98 running in a
> > > little box inside the K desktop-it's a real hoot! So, I am using my favorite
> > > windows CAM program- Vector in linux now. This might not be the most elegant
> > > way of getting there- you have to buy win4lin for $50 and you have to have a
> > > windows install cdrom, but I sure think it will work until more things are
> > > ported to linux.
> > >
> > > I invite more people to submit material for www.linuxcnc.org. We need writers
> > > who are into CNC, machine tools, EMC, programming, etc....
> >

> I would like to use Linux as my desk top and drop windows. But my net provider will not work with linux. If I use this program can I
> switch back an forth between the two programs??????????????
> Larry

If I understand your question, if you must be running Linux as your OS
I'm not sure what you are asking. You can't run parts of Linux without
running the entire Linux OS (operating system), although you may
dual boot either/or Linux & Windoze.

The above post from Dan Falck refers to a program running under the
Linux OS which emulates the Microsoft system calls made by Win95/98
and the programs running under that. Hence Win95/98 programs are
running under Win95/98 OS, in which Linux is emulating the hardware
for Win95/98. If a Windoze program or the Win95/98 OS crashes, it does
not crash Linux, and so you can start up another copy of Win95/98 and
try again. You still need to have a copy of Win95/98 installation disks.

Another program in this catagory is VMWARE http://www.vmware.com
which has a lot more milage on it. VMWARE is damn good, but I
understand that it doesn't do high speed games very well.

Doug

Discussion Thread

Doug Fortune 2000-05-13 10:42:51 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] alternative Windoze emulators for Linux