CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Hello to the group

Posted by Ron Ginger
on 2000-05-16 06:47:33 UTC
william johansen wrote:

> Hi name is Bill & i am a mold maker by profession. I just got a 5400
> mill from Sherline & already I want to convert to cnc. The very first
> thing is to run it manually until I get enough info on the conversion
> of the mill. I have looked at some of the popular kits & can not
> choose.
> Questions
> 1. anti-backlash lead screws

I have not found a good answer for this yet. I bought some 1/4-20
anti-backlash screws from
BSA, for nearly $100, and the nuts are to high to fit. The machine could
be modified to handle them, but it would take a lot of millng into the
base and saddle block, and somehow I dont want to dig into that fine
black anodize. You could mill a new saddle block, about 1/2" thicker
than the original but that would take a while.

Last week at our NEMES meeting we had a sales enginweer from Moglice
talk. He showed some very amazing screws made of Moglice. I believe this
could be done to a Sherline without problem, and if the stuff holds up
half as well as they claim it will long outlive me and any Sherline. I
intend to do some expirements 'real soon now'

> 2. cad/cam software

> 3. while still manual a better z axis lock

Sherline now offers a screw lock for the Z- its a brass lever that jambs
against the nut. Joe Martin was talking about it at NAMES, said they
could now manufacture them because of CNC- they can control the start
point of a thread.

Have a look at the photos of my Sherline conversion-
http://plsntcov.8m.com/sherline.htm My approach is different because I
put the motors at the opposite end of the screw from the handwheel. You
dont need double shaft motors, and you dont mess up the use of the
handwheel.

ron

Discussion Thread

Ron Ginger 2000-05-16 06:47:33 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Hello to the group Jon Anderson 2000-05-16 07:00:44 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Hello to the group