CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Hello to the group

Posted by Jon Anderson
on 2000-05-16 07:00:44 UTC
Ron Ginger wrote:

> Last week at our NEMES meeting we had a sales enginweer from Moglice
> talk. He showed some very amazing screws made of Moglice. I believe
> this could be done to a Sherline without problem, and if the stuff
> holds up half as well as they claim it will long outlive me and any
> Sherline. I intend to do some expirements 'real soon now'

I'd be very interested to hear more about this. I tried casting nuts
with Moglice. It replicates surfaces so well that even with heavy
application of release agent, I had to lap the nuts in. I went to BS&A
ActiveCam nuts for X and Y on my Max, but am still using the Moglice nut
on the Z, it's holding up well.

For the Sherline, I used BS&A bronze nuts. Machined to 3/8 dia leaving
approx .25 shoulder at one end, then machined parallel flats on the
flange to bring this to 3/8 also. I then indicated in each end of the
lead screw holes, bored to 3/8 and milled a 3/8 wide slot for the nut to
slip into. A pair of screws passes through the nuts into the saddle.
One side is fixed tight, the other uses small springs under longer
screws, to maintain preload. My dad's Sherline runs about .0005
backlash, and since he's usually running .093 or smaller end mills he
doesn't overcome the preload springs. It's a lot of work however.....
Will try to clean up a wireframe CAD drawing and post a pic.

Ron Ginger 2000-05-16 06:47:33 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Hello to the group Jon Anderson 2000-05-16 07:00:44 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Hello to the group