CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Rack & Pinion

on 2004-11-23 12:50:06 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "george_barr"
<george_barr@y...> wrote:

> The Cad Cut CNC plans uses a Rack & Pinion instead of a Ball Screw
or
> Acme Screw. What are the advantages and disadvantages of a Rack &
> Pinion over a Ball Screw? Any comments is appreciated.
>
> Thanks,

ACME and ball screws are prone to failure in plasma enviroments
unless care is taken in making the units clean.

Also, rack is faster than ball screws. Typically a rack is one
recolution per inch or maybe 2 inches per rev. Ballacrews can be 2
revs per inch.

For some work, the rack is the first and best choice, for others it
is a ballscrew. And for others it is a compromise either way.

For long tables, say a 14 foot table, the ballscrew has to be huge or
it will whip around on rapids. for the same table, a small rack
might work if the table is non-contact.

Ballscrews are more precise and racks are easier to clean.

I think the best thing is to figure out the table first and then the
means of driving it.

Dave

Discussion Thread

george_barr 2004-11-23 10:59:29 UTC Rack & Pinion John Heritage 2004-11-23 11:22:37 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Rack & Pinion JanRwl@A... 2004-11-23 12:32:34 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Rack & Pinion turbulatordude 2004-11-23 12:50:06 UTC Re: Rack & Pinion khaled hussein 2004-11-30 08:45:56 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Rack & Pinion