CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Belt reduction questions, Please help!?

Posted by wthomas@g...
on 2004-11-24 23:18:37 UTC
Hi Bob and All:
I did some research on reinforced belts vs chain drive about 10
years ago while working on paint pump drives. The reinforce belts a
little when first installed but very little after that. I sorry
don't the % of stretch but it is very low. The fact that you are
limited in space means that you will be using short belts which will
have very little stretch. I you have a half inch of adjustment on a
ten inch belt it should be enough. I hope this give you some Idea
where to start.
GOD'S BLESSING'S
Bill

To: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
From: "n1ych" <bberg@...>
Date sent: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 05:32:01 -0000
Subject: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Belt reduction questions, Please help!?
Send reply to: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com

Looking for some help. I'm going to be converting a X-3 Desktop mill
to Cnc using servo motors. This mill is a little larger then a mini-
mill and about the same size as a small bench top mill like an RF-25
or RF-30.
I'm going to be using a 2:1 belt reduction from the servo to the ball
screw.

First Question: What belt types are people using to do this type of
conversion? XL, MXL, etc...... How wide of a belt? 1/2", 3/8", 1/4
etc???

Second Question: My servo motors will be mounted on plates with
slots so I can tension the belt. I don't know how much these belts
strecth, How much adjustement do my motors need in order to tension
the belt? 1", .5", .100" ?
I'm a little limited in space in how much I can adjust the motors,
base upon my current design.
Thanks for the help!
Bob

Addresses:
Post Messages: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com

Moderator: pentam@... indigo_red@... davemucha@... [Moderators]

OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
If you wish to post on unlimited OT subjects goto: aol://5863:126/rec.crafts.metalworking or go thru Google.com to reach it if you have trouble.