CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Geckos, Servos, VFD and twitching on Z axis

Posted by yethdear0
on 2004-12-01 09:38:06 UTC
Everything is shielded.

By chance, we installed a 10 microfarad capacitor on the 5 volt power
wire that powers up our encoder and "Bigo!" all is great in the
universe. We also found out that the capacitor had to be installed
within a few inches of the encoder. If we installed it at the Gecko,
it wouldn't help. All 3 axis repeat now on a travle indicator
within .0005in.

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "vavaroutsos" <pete@v...>
wrote:

> Sounds to me like you are getting noise on your Z encoder. Are you
> running single ended encoders, or differential with converters? Are
> the encoder cables shielded? Did you use shielded VFD cable from
the
> VFD to the spindle motor? How are your ground connections oriented?
>
> ~petev
>
> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "yethdear0" <da-mack@e...>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hiya,
> >
> > We have an old Hurco knee mill that we have stripped and retro-ed
> > with a pc, CNCPro, Geckos and a Baldor VFD for the spindle motor.
> We
> > just got it all up and running but have a problem with the Z axis
> > servo or controller. Using a travel indicator on the Z axis, the
> > movement is smooth and exact. We have the machine running a
program
> > that move Z -.100" pauses for 1 second and then moves Z +.100"
and
> > then runs in a loop. When we turn on the VFD and the spindle, the
> > axis seems noisy and the travel on the indicator will start to
> > drift .001" to .005" each time the program cycles. The drift is
> > random, sometimes positive and sometimes negative but positive
the
> > majority of the time. When we slowed the motion to 1 ipm, you can
> > see the motion twitch at random during the movement. This only
> > happens when the spindle is running and only the on the Z axis.
We
> > swapped out the servo motors with the Y axis and the problem
stayed
> > with the Z axis controller. On the machine, the Z axis servo is
> > mounted on the front of the spindle head of the machine, the
motor
> > (5hp, 230V, 3ph,) is on the back of the head. The VFD (a new
> Baldor)
> > is mounted on the side of the head about 6in from the Z servo. We
> > also dismounted the Z servo and located it away from the motor
and
> > VFD to test for magnetic flux or noise and it still twitches. We
> > have also played with the gain and damping adjustment but nothing
> > there would correct the problem. The twitching is only in Z, all
3
> > Geckos are getting their power from the same DC power source
which
> > baffles us why the twitching is only on the Z axis. We are also
> > using new US Digital encoders. When we swapped servos though, we
> > also swapped encoders and the twitching stays on the Z axis. We
> also
> > rerouted cables as far from our VFD and motor as possible but
still
> > have the problem.
> >
> > Any suggestions or input will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Discussion Thread

yethdear0 2004-11-20 06:48:14 UTC Geckos, Servos, VFD and twitching on Z axis Raymond Heckert 2004-11-21 17:19:09 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Geckos, Servos, VFD and twitching on Z axis Mariss Freimanis 2004-11-21 18:24:20 UTC Re: Geckos, Servos, VFD and twitching on Z axis JamesCullins 2004-11-21 19:11:10 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Geckos, Servos, VFD and twitching on Z axis yethdear0 2004-11-22 09:36:07 UTC Re: Geckos, Servos, VFD and twitching on Z axis vavaroutsos 2004-11-22 11:09:25 UTC Re: Geckos, Servos, VFD and twitching on Z axis yethdear0 2004-11-22 19:00:57 UTC Re: Geckos, Servos, VFD and twitching on Z axis yethdear0 2004-12-01 09:38:06 UTC Re: Geckos, Servos, VFD and twitching on Z axis R Rogers 2004-12-01 10:09:51 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Geckos, Servos, VFD and twitching on Z axis yethdear0 2004-12-01 18:45:23 UTC Re: Geckos, Servos, VFD and twitching on Z axis Torsten 2004-12-02 02:00:54 UTC Re: Geckos, Servos, VFD and twitching on Z axis yethdear0 2004-12-04 05:35:07 UTC Re: Geckos, Servos, VFD and twitching on Z axis