CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Geckos, Servos, VFD and twitching on Z axis

Posted by Torsten
on 2004-12-02 02:00:54 UTC
Could be the electrical interference from the VFD but
have you try'd to tune the Servo?
There should be 2 places to make adjustments to the
Servos for proper tuning.
A miss adjusted servo would likely twich a little at
standstill.
Check the documentation of the geckos.
You would not notice a difference just switching the motor.
Good Luck

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "yethdear0" <da-mack@e...>
wrote:

> [...]
> causing a .005-.010 jump or error in the Z axis motion. As for now,
> everything seems to be working and repeating fine. I ran a program
> over and over and there were no position errors or twitches. As for
> other noises, the machine is located in a high school machine shop.
> It is surrounded by other machines, 3 phase and single phase and
> machines powered from the some bus. We also have quite a few
> machines with VFDs on them as well. So far, we have no noise
showing
> up. We are going to try some 3D contouring tomorrow. Any noise
> produced by any of the axii will definitely show up then as a divot
> in the surface of the part. We have our fingers crossed.
>
> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, R Rogers <rogersmach@y...>
> wrote:
> > I had the same crosstalk issues when I retrofitted my Bridgeport.
> I was able to just seperate the motor leads and encoder cables to
> rectify. It seems there should be a standard to eliminate cross-
talk
> and interference issues with encoders, or at least a more absolute
> fix and safeguard. I'm wondering what difference moving the 10 uf
> cap on the encoder current a few inches away from the Gecko made. I
> dont have any caps on my encoder wiring and wondering if I need
any.
> Once I see a servo act extremely erradical and resolve it by just
> moving wires, It's not a very secure feeling for future operation.
> What else could possibly make it happen? Arcing in the spindle
> motor? Noise from another piece of equiptment coming through the
> line? Cell phone? The kids RC car? I think about this when I have a
> 1.25"dia. X .875"dia. shank Reamer buried 10" deep in a large
> workpiece. Having 5hp at the ballscrews from the servos, that would
> be a disaster.
> >
> > Ron
> >
> > yethdear0 <da-mack@e...> wrote:
> >

> > Everything is shielded.
> >
> > By chance, we installed a 10 microfarad capacitor on the 5 volt
> power
> > wire that powers up our encoder and "Bigo!" all is great in the
> > universe. We also found out that the capacitor had to be
installed
> > within a few inches of the encoder. If we installed it at the
> Gecko,
> > it wouldn't help. All 3 axis repeat now on a travle indicator
> > within .0005in.
> >
> > --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "vavaroutsos"
> >
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > Sounds to me like you are getting noise on your Z encoder. Are
> you
> > > running single ended encoders, or differential with converters?
> Are
> > > the encoder cables shielded? Did you use shielded VFD cable
from
> > the
> > > VFD to the spindle motor? How are your ground connections

[Moderators]
> > URL to this group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO
> >
> > OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
> > If you wish to post on unlimited OT subjects goto:
> aol://5863:126/rec.crafts.metalworking or go thru Google.com to
> reach it if you have trouble.
> > http://www.metalworking.com/news_servers.html

> be a sister site to the CCED group, as many of the same members are
> there, for OT subjects, that are not allowed on the CCED list.
> >
> > NOTICE: ALL POSTINGS TO THIS GROUP BECOME PUBLIC DOMAIN BY
POSTING
> THEM. DON'T POST IF YOU CAN NOT ACCEPT THIS.....NO
EXCEPTIONS........