CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Capacitor sizing question

on 2004-12-05 14:54:20 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "caudlet" <thom@t...> wrote:

> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "turbulatordude"
> <davemucha@j...> wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm a little on the fence here and hope someone can offer some
> > guidance.
> >

> > With a 40 volt transformer and a bridge rectifier I should be
> getting
> > 38.8 volts before the cap. After the filter cap, the voltage
would
> > be 54.8 volts.
> >
> > For the motors, the calculation says 8,000uF so with a cap of
> 5,600uF
> > at 63 volts I can parallel two of them and get more than enough
> > capacatance, but am I cutting the voltage too close ?
> >
> > I'll be using Gecko's with a 470uF-100v on each Gecko.
> >
> > Typically the rule of thumb is 20% over for caps and this is only
> 10%
> > over.
> >
> > This is for a plasma table and hopefully high rapids as the norm
> for
> > cutting.
> >
> > Any recomendations for the caps ? am I being greedy for trying
> > use a $1.50 capacitor (on sale) or should I get a much larger
> voltage
> > capacitor ?
> >
> > Dave
>
> There are two things you need to worry about Dave. The voltage
from
> your secondary is of course porportional to the input and you need
> design using "worst case" numbers, i.e. high line conditions.
While
> the nominal AC voltage is ususally 120VAC it can be as low as
110VAC
> and as hign as 125VAC (with possible surges to 130VAC). Caps have
> breakdown voltage that is a function of the dialectric and spacing
> across a temperature range and like all electronics the manufacture
> will build in some safety margin but experience over time has
taught
> us that running any electronic device (passive or active) right at
> the edge of its ratings will shorten its live span.
>
> The other issue is the dreaded back EMF from the motors. If you
were
> to incorporate an active voltage clamp on the motor DC then you
might
> be able to use those caps.
>
> I don't know if you will be using steppers or servos but its nice
> have the option to raise the DC voltage if you find your upper end
> performance needs a little boost. If your caps are the 100V
species
> then you can easily raise it to the driver limit without a lot of
> retrofit.
>
> Given a choice I would sacrifice capacitance for breakdown voltage
in
> a motor application.

Thanks,

at 40 volts, the max is about 55 volts, at 130 it is almost the
rating of the cap.

Since these will be on a plasma machine, the decel will be from high
speeds so back EMF will be a major considderation.

Also the transformer is not as high a voltage as desired, but at
$10.00 (40V/5A) they are pretty cheap and sized just right.

so, 100v cap is the goal.

That leaves the room for upping the voltage if opportunity avails
itself.

Thanks again.

Dave

Discussion Thread

turbulatordude 2004-12-04 19:40:04 UTC Capacitor sizing question caudlet 2004-12-05 07:00:09 UTC Re: Capacitor sizing question turbulatordude 2004-12-05 14:54:20 UTC Re: Capacitor sizing question