CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: a real "johnny-come-lately"

on 2004-12-10 11:51:57 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Roland" <rb@a...> wrote:

> Hi everyone:
>
> After my retirement, I started building myself a cnc router. None of
> my past experiences is helping me in this project. I'm struggling
> though the construction of it and I'm getting close to the end of
the
> project. However, that brings me to another problem. I have no
> training whatsoever in that field. I need some recomendations as to
> where one can get cd's/manuals on the most elementary topics
> (programming, set-up and beyond). I would appreciate any info on the
> matter. I thank you all in advance for your assistance.
>
> Roland

First, I like your line of plotters.

For the basics, I would recomend you try Turbo-CNC and do some hand
coding of g-code.

It is much easier that is may first appear as there are only a dozen
or so commands that are frequently used.

Once you get the hang of cutting wood, you may (will ?) find things
to do to make your machine faster/easier/better..

But, in a week of playing you will become fairly well aquainted with
some of the in's and outs.

Try this for a project

http://www.epiloglaser.com/mammoth.htm

John Klienbauer ( of crankorgan.com fame) had posted this link
elswhere.

Since you can tape a pencil to your Z and put paper on your table,
you can draw before you cut. Actually a spring loaded felt marker
would be preferred.

But, I recomend putting the machine thru some paces to see what is
can do before spending the big bucks for software. If you read some
posts, a lot of people have high dollar packages on the shelf that
collect dust.

Dave

Discussion Thread

Roland 2004-12-10 10:10:47 UTC a real "johnny-come-lately" lcdpublishing 2004-12-10 10:19:31 UTC Re: a real "johnny-come-lately" turbulatordude 2004-12-10 11:51:57 UTC Re: a real "johnny-come-lately" Brad Eyben 2004-12-10 15:57:39 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] a real "johnny-come-lately"