CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Bridgeport ballscrew retrofit kits and prices

Posted by cnc_4_me
on 2005-01-14 09:17:34 UTC
Thats the second time i looked at your web site and i have learned
something both times...You are 1 inovative guy!!!

Another thing i learned from the pics is you are a doer not a
talker...You definitely have a working shop and are not afraid to
build it try it correct it and move on...

Wally

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "C.S. Mo" <cs@v...> wrote:
> I had my ballscrews made 1" longer than stock with standard ends.
Then I
> machined a 1" thick spacer that fits between the machine and the
bearing
> block which is hollowed out on the inside to fit the pulley. The
standard
> ballscrews, and ACME screws on my mill, had 4" long sections turned
down
> to 1" diameter on both ends between the bearing area and the
threads.

> However, depending on the size pulley you're using you may be able
to get
> the pulley to fit under the table with a little grinding - my
table, due
> to the casting, interfered with the pulley by about 1/8" in a couple
> places. Also, I'd make the spacer 1.25" thick instead of 1" as the
> pulleys I used were 1" thick and it was a little tricky getting
> everything fitted without rubbing.
>
> Also, on the Y axis, at least on my mill, it was not necessary to
make
> the Y ballscrew longer as even at full travel, there's still 3-4" of
> unused screw with the stock ACME screws.
>
> I also machined a keyway in the screw for the pulley but ended up
using
> taper locks that didn't have a keyway but I've never had a problem
with
> slippage.
>
> Some pictures on my site: <http://www.smidgie.com/928/machineshop>
>
> I put up some additional, unsorted, pictures here:
>
> <http://www.smidgie.com/928/machineshop/CometStuff>
>
> On the handle side I've made a spacer and housing to replace the
dial
> with a 1" ID encoder. The handle can be retained or replaced with
another
> spacer.
>
> --C.S.
>

> >Well, that is the problem... The end nut has to hold
everything...It
> >has to tighten up the bearing pair thru the pulley...This means
that
> >the pulley now cannot be pinned and probally not even
> >taperlocked...This leaves only setscrewing the pulley to the shaft
> >after the nut is tightened...For the kind of torque we are talking
> >about i am not sure setscrewing will hold up...
> >

> >Also using the standard end does not address how to put a encoder
on
> >the end of the ballscrew or if you want to put a handle on after
the
> >pulley like you would like to do...This is why a custom end is so
> >desirable.
> >
> >Wally

Discussion Thread

cnc_4_me 2005-01-13 13:06:35 UTC Bridgeport ballscrew retrofit kits and prices Polaraligned 2005-01-13 17:18:07 UTC Re: Bridgeport ballscrew retrofit kits and prices cnc_4_me 2005-01-13 18:41:47 UTC Re: Bridgeport ballscrew retrofit kits and prices Stephen Wille Padnos 2005-01-13 19:55:33 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Bridgeport ballscrew retrofit kits and prices cnc_4_me 2005-01-13 21:35:31 UTC Re: Bridgeport ballscrew retrofit kits and prices C.S. Mo 2005-01-14 06:13:03 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Bridgeport ballscrew retrofit kits and prices R Rogers 2005-01-14 06:55:51 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Bridgeport ballscrew retrofit kits and prices Bridgeport Repair 2005-01-14 08:30:00 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Bridgeport ballscrew retrofit kits and prices turbulatordude 2005-01-14 08:41:07 UTC Re: Bridgeport ballscrew retrofit kits and prices cnc_4_me 2005-01-14 09:17:34 UTC Re: Bridgeport ballscrew retrofit kits and prices cnc_4_me 2005-01-14 09:32:44 UTC Re: Bridgeport ballscrew retrofit kits and prices cnc_4_me 2005-01-14 09:57:52 UTC Re: Bridgeport ballscrew retrofit kits and prices Peter Renolds 2005-01-14 18:12:10 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Bridgeport ballscrew retrofit kits and prices