CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Quilt machine CNC conversion suggestions?

Posted by csgchum
on 2005-01-18 19:41:44 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, R Rogers <rogersmach@y...>
wrote:

> codeSuidae <codesuidae@c...> wrote:
>

> Howdy,
>
> I have a small quilting machine to which I'm considering adding 2D
CNC capability.
> The precision required is pretty low compaired to most CNC systems,
so I thought

Consider using chain and sprockets for your drive This is a
inexpensive and suprizingly accurate way to go. You would also be
able to run machine by hand if you wished as long as the servo free
wheels when the power is off. I built a plasma cutter this way and
have seen commercial routers built this way. front and back of the
gantry can be fastend to each end of the chain and apropriate sized
sprockets for reduction on servo. You can also use chain like a rack
just place chain between two pieces of flat iron and use dense foam
rubber under chain for spring like action and cushoning of drive.
Chain in both cases must be tensioned but not enough to strech. This
method is proven and inexpensive.

Discussion Thread

codeSuidae 2005-01-18 18:04:42 UTC Quilt machine CNC conversion suggestions? R Rogers 2005-01-18 18:20:38 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Quilt machine CNC conversion suggestions? csgchum 2005-01-18 19:41:44 UTC Re: Quilt machine CNC conversion suggestions? luke1027home 2005-01-19 01:47:20 UTC Re: Quilt machine CNC conversion suggestions? Codesuidae 2005-01-19 11:39:11 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Quilt machine CNC conversion suggestions? m0nkey0ne 2005-01-19 16:40:26 UTC Re: Quilt machine CNC conversion suggestions?