CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Quilt machine CNC conversion suggestions?

Posted by Codesuidae
on 2005-01-19 11:39:11 UTC
csgchum wrote:

>--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, R Rogers <rogersmach@y...>
>wrote:
>

>>codeSuidae <codesuidae@c...> wrote:
>>
>>I have a small quilting machine to which I'm considering adding 2D CNC capability. The precision required is pretty low compaired to most CNC systems,
>>

>You can also use chain like a rack
>just place chain between two pieces of flat iron and use dense foam
>rubber under chain for spring like action and cushoning of drive.

Very good idea, I think I might investigate this option first. Its
attractive because it places the chain in such a way that its completely
out of the way. There is perfect location for such a chain on the
existing track.

I'll investigate this.

Another question about this project. The current XY table consists of
aluminum L channel with nylon 'V' rollers for wheels. These have
acceptably low rolling resistance when running straight in X or Y, but
when pushed at 45deg the force required to move the table goes up
significantly. As far as CNC control this won't be a problem, but when
used manually its already annoying (but usable). I'm concerned that the
addition of any more reisistance (unpowered servos) will make this
worse. I'm looking for a better design for the track

My current idea is to use the same L channel, but turn it from its
current 'L' shape, with the rollers traveling along the top of the
vertical piece, to an inverted 'V', with two bearings oriented at 90
degrees running on each side of the track (I'm sure this configuration
has a name, but I dunno what it is). I think this would provide much
more free motion, as well as giving me some simple but interesting
shapes to mill :)

Suggestions regarding the mechanics of the XY table?

Thanks
CS

Discussion Thread

codeSuidae 2005-01-18 18:04:42 UTC Quilt machine CNC conversion suggestions? R Rogers 2005-01-18 18:20:38 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Quilt machine CNC conversion suggestions? csgchum 2005-01-18 19:41:44 UTC Re: Quilt machine CNC conversion suggestions? luke1027home 2005-01-19 01:47:20 UTC Re: Quilt machine CNC conversion suggestions? Codesuidae 2005-01-19 11:39:11 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Quilt machine CNC conversion suggestions? m0nkey0ne 2005-01-19 16:40:26 UTC Re: Quilt machine CNC conversion suggestions?