CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Need advice choosing machine controller for 5 axis router

Posted by caudlet
on 2005-01-19 11:49:49 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "pbcnc1020" <pbcnc1020@y...>
wrote:

> Hello
> I am very new to CNC control system and need to buy a machine
> controller for a 5 axis cnc router that I am just finish building.
> I am not looking for a high end solution but more moderate cost
> effective option with good technology and open control system.
> I have been told to look for a controller that has simultaneous
> interpolation on all axes and has high block process speeds and
> look ahead capability.
>

> My plan is to cut larger shapes and contour machining of plugs for
> Fiberglas molds and vacuum forming molds etc. and anything else
that
> comes in the door.
>
> The router is designed to cut at 400 inches per minute. I will
start
> with the machine operating as 3 axis, and in the future go to 5
axis.
> This router has 10mm pitch ballscrews 30mm dia. on xyz axes. The xy
> moving table is 4ft by 5 ft and 30 in Z axis.
> It will have a 9hp spindle motor probably Colombo. I have OneCNC XR
> Cad/Cam that would be generating the tool paths in g code.
>
> I am not clear on how to put together the control system and could
> use a little advice.

There is a quantum jump from doing 3 axis milling to doing 5 axis.
There are several issues. The CAM software you choose to do 5 axis
toolpaths will be more expensive and more difficult to learn/use. I
don't know if OneCNC XR does 5 axis toolpaths. There is currently a
shortage of hobby priced software to do 5 axis code generation.

The good news is that several "moderately" priced software pC based
controllers (takes g-code and sends out Step and Direction signals)
have the motion features you want. Have a look at Mach2
(www.artofcnc.ca) for a low cost Windows based multi-axis controller
with continuous contouring (look ahead) and many other features.

If you elect to use AC servo's and drives you will find yourself
moving outside the PC based parallel port options. Some servo
controllers need an analog +- 10V control voltage. You will have to
find an interface card that will run from the PC parallel port and
give you the right control for the AC servo paks. A good place to
look is PICO (Jon Elson's site) or Rutex (they used to sell a step-
direction to analog converter. Your software controller may have to
be EMC.

You are embarking on a direction that will have you with one foot in
the hobby market and one in the commercial market, and like having on
foot on the boat and one on shore, you may find the solution to be
the worst of both.

There are users here and over at DIY-CNC group that operate larger
routers in a commercial application and even a scant few that do 4
and 5 axis routing/milling. Before you go out and spend the big
bucks for AC servo drives and motors better get information from one
of them.

Discussion Thread

pbcnc1020 2005-01-19 09:43:02 UTC Need advice choosing machine controller for 5 axis router caudlet 2005-01-19 11:49:49 UTC Re: Need advice choosing machine controller for 5 axis router