CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: servo voltage question ( regarding Steppers)

Posted by Peter Reilley
on 2005-01-29 08:50:36 UTC
You didn't quite answer my question, let me rephrase it.
Suppose I had a 1000 volt power supply and a drive capable
of handling it. Would that destroy a stepper motor?
What would be the actual failure point; insulation, iron
heating, copper heating, some other failure mode.

Given a servo drive setup, what would be the failure mode?

What I am trying understand is what are the absolute voltage
limits on stepper and servo motors.

I understand that Mariss recommends 25 times the motor rating
for stepper motors. That matches well with my 3 volt steppers
and my 70 volt supply.

I do understand that the higher voltage causes the current
to rise faster in the motor windings thereby putting more power
into the motor resulting in getting more power out. If 25 times
is good then 50 times should be better. Where is the limit
from the motors point of view assuming that the drive and
power supply are available.

Pete.