CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] TDK CD printer for printing on "solids"

Posted by R Wink
on 2005-02-08 17:36:07 UTC
For what it's worth..I went though the Nashville Mall on my way to Alabama a
couple of years ago and watched a guy on a wagon in the middle of one of the
walkways "paint" licenses plates. He used a flat bed "printer" that
reminded me of a HP plotter (it may have been one, for all I know). The
pre-painted (solid color) plate was fed in the back side, the fellow worked
on the picture in Corel, I think, and "printed" the picture to the
printer/plotter. As best I remember, he was using a form of "ink" in the
printer that was the same as is used in a Video Jet industrial printer which
is solvent based as opposed to water based use in the ink jet printers. I'd
suggest that you contact one of the industrial printer companies or perhaps
an commercial printer about some of the "liquid" inks they use. I don't
know if the fellow made/used metal ink containers but the ink I'm thinking
about will melt most plastics.

You also might look a finding a used Video Jet printer and moving the part
under the nozzle. They're used in the US for printing the information on
the side of cardboard boxes. Video Jet is a brand name and several other
companies provide the same or similar units. The Video Jet requires a space
between the nozzle and the item being printed so the inch or so you asked
about would be in the range of "normal." The part or the nozzle must be
passing each other at about 40-60 inches per minute so it might be easiest
to fixture the part, leave it stationary and move the nozzle past the part.
The nozzle, as I remember, is about 1-1/2 inches in diameter and about 8-10
inches long with a rather stiff tube that can be supported using an overhead
counterbalance.

I'm in the US or I'd offer to take you to some applications I've designed
that are just about what you're trying to do. A Video Jet can be had, in
the US, for about $25K new but some of the older units can be had at a big
discount to that. If you want to correspond in more detail, ping my email.
R. Wink