CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: - threaded rod leadscrews- now ROLLERscrew

Posted by m0nkey0ne
on 2005-02-11 09:27:21 UTC
The Hercus bench top mill we used in school was fitted with roller
screws on all three axis. At first glance, many, including the
instructors thought the leads were merely threaded leads. It wasn't
until a retrofit of new steppers that the rods were actually 5
pitches and the nuts had five rollers. It was an amazing and
intriguing discovery for a couple college students. Even with the
fine thread appearance, the tables could be pushed by hand, even with
the drives in place.
Randy

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "spc_aux" <aux34@s...> wrote:

> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "turbulatordude"
> <dave_mucha@y...> wrote:
> >

> > > Indeed, but take it one step further
> > > and make your own threaded roller
> > > screws. In one of the groups
> > > (not sure I subscribe to about 45) there is a
> > > suggestion on how to make these
> > >
> > > I include this link for inspiration; SKF also sells them
> >
> > http://www.exlar.com/products/linear/
> > roller_screws/roller_screw_oview.html
> > >
> > > I have also draw up my own design
> > > which I will build as soon as my Lathe is
> > > finished being converted to CNC
> > >
> > > Stephan
> > >

> > I'm not familiar with this technology. Anybody use such a
device ?

> > I noticed the cost was not listed in the comparison chart.
> >
> > Dave
>
> That's pretty cool, I haven't seen those before.
>
> I think it's safe to say that the integrated servo units will be
> serious $.
>
> It does appear that the design has some potential for home
> experimentation. I suspect that it would require a lot of toolpost
> grinder use in order to get the tollerances that would be required.
> You would likely have to grind the thread in pre-hardened material
> since hardening after thread cutting would probably give too much
> distortion.

Discussion Thread

Stephan Kotze 2005-02-10 22:46:02 UTC RE: Subject: Why not use threaded rod leadscrews? Paul 2005-02-11 00:28:30 UTC Re: Subject: Why not use threaded rod leadscrews? turbulatordude 2005-02-11 07:00:01 UTC Re: - threaded rod leadscrews- now ROLLERscrew spc_aux 2005-02-11 08:15:35 UTC Re: - threaded rod leadscrews- now ROLLERscrew m0nkey0ne 2005-02-11 09:27:21 UTC Re: - threaded rod leadscrews- now ROLLERscrew turbulatordude 2005-02-11 11:28:20 UTC Re: - threaded rod leadscrews- now ROLLERscrew Blue 2005-02-11 17:51:00 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: - threaded rod leadscrews- now ROLLERscrew