CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: - threaded rod leadscrews- now ROLLERscrew

on 2005-02-11 11:28:20 UTC
A call to the factory revealed they cost 2-3 times that of a ball
screw.

Life is 50 times that of a ball screw.

Seems if you need one, the cost is not too high. If you just want
one, you need a pretty big wallet.

Dave

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "m0nkey0ne" <m0nkey0ne@y...>
wrote:

> The Hercus bench top mill we used in school was fitted with roller
> screws on all three axis. At first glance, many, including the
> instructors thought the leads were merely threaded leads. It
wasn't
> until a retrofit of new steppers that the rods were actually 5
> pitches and the nuts had five rollers. It was an amazing and
> intriguing discovery for a couple college students. Even with the
> fine thread appearance, the tables could be pushed by hand, even
with
> the drives in place.
> Randy
>
> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "spc_aux" <aux34@s...>
wrote:

> > --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "turbulatordude"

> > > http://www.exlar.com/products/linear/
> > > roller_screws/roller_screw_oview.html

> > > I'm not familiar with this technology. Anybody use such a
> device ?
> > >
> > > I noticed the cost was not listed in the comparison chart.
> > >
> > > Dave
> >
> > That's pretty cool, I haven't seen those before.
> >
> > I think it's safe to say that the integrated servo units will be
> > serious $.
> >
> > It does appear that the design has some potential for home
> > experimentation. I suspect that it would require a lot of
toolpost
> > grinder use in order to get the tollerances that would be
required.
> > You would likely have to grind the thread in pre-hardened
material
> > since hardening after thread cutting would probably give too much
> > distortion.

Discussion Thread

Stephan Kotze 2005-02-10 22:46:02 UTC RE: Subject: Why not use threaded rod leadscrews? Paul 2005-02-11 00:28:30 UTC Re: Subject: Why not use threaded rod leadscrews? turbulatordude 2005-02-11 07:00:01 UTC Re: - threaded rod leadscrews- now ROLLERscrew spc_aux 2005-02-11 08:15:35 UTC Re: - threaded rod leadscrews- now ROLLERscrew m0nkey0ne 2005-02-11 09:27:21 UTC Re: - threaded rod leadscrews- now ROLLERscrew turbulatordude 2005-02-11 11:28:20 UTC Re: - threaded rod leadscrews- now ROLLERscrew Blue 2005-02-11 17:51:00 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: - threaded rod leadscrews- now ROLLERscrew