CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Digest Number 508

Posted by Andrew Werby
on 2000-05-28 10:37:12 UTC
"Bob Campbell" <bob@...>
Subject: Re: Re:millwizard

Andrew,

The web page looks nice. This may be a good program for the high school
that I sold a machine from Machine Automation to. The Cad department
already uses Rhino and they want to start machining out 3D objects.

[It might be a good fit with a 3-axis router. It's certainly simple enough
to use. Some companies offer educational discounts- I'm not sure about this
one, though.]

The instructor wants an inexpensive small 5 axis cnc mill. I do not know of
any 5 axis mill that are inexpensive.

Bob Campbell

[While it might not be that hard to fit a 3-axis machine with a rotary A
axis and a pivoting head (especially if you're building it from scratch and
have extra room in the Z direction) , I've never seen any 5-axis software
that was even close to reasonably priced- have you? Have you even seen any
true 4-axis software that was inexpensive? I have (finally) started having
better luck with my A-axis indexing routine using DeskProto, though-
(milling a 3d toolpath, indexing over 90 degrees, then milling another
toolpath based on a rotated instance of the part, etc.) This is one major
feature DeskProto 2.0 has that millwizard doesn't (there are a few more).]

Andrew Werby