CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO]Bob Cad

Posted by ebower
on 2000-05-28 10:33:35 UTC
I do not understand what you mean by 3D conversion.

If you mean taking a 2D drawing and converting to a 3D drawing for use in a
CAM program then you will need Autocad Version 10 and up and need to also
purchase the AME 3D plug in(Advanced Modeling Extension). The Autocad
program is sold in the US for about $4000 and you have to pay extra (I do
not know the exact amount but I think about $400) for the AME section.

There are other software CAD packages that offer this to but you still have
to pay extra.

There are several packages that work within Autocad but you can not use
AutoCadLT because it is strictly 2D design.

For any 2D package you have to buy a 3D modelling package to get 3D
programming.

Bobcad does have programming and drawing in 3D. In the manual I have, they
have an example of 3D contouring and cutting. Most programs recommend that
you use ball end mills for contouring and you must make multiple passes to
clean the contour up. If I want a taper (in making my own patterns for
castings I use a 5 degree cutter to cut the sand relief) I use taper cutters
to get the taper I want.

Most shareware programs have this but you have to pay for it before they
give you a manual. They have a short manual and help with them to get you
started but you have to wing the rest on your own.

I have found that most freeware/shareware programs are exacting what they
say "You get what you pay for".

It also depends on what your controllers will recognize. My controllers
that is on my mill that I purchased in 1993 does not recognize G41/G42
codes, so I have to use the offset function in Bobcad to get the mill to cut
the desired dimensions. This mill (with controlling software and the
program writing software (Bobcad) was cheaper than any commercial machine,
but I lost a lot of control features due to the price.

I also saw (when I worked for Anchor Hocking Corp. (caps for jars)(for 25
years) many company salesmen give you a song and dance just to get you to
buy their product. I also saw, when they bought the CNC Lathe, get into
Kennametal tooling because this is what the salesman recommended. They had
the purchasing Agent, for the company, search and find some other companies
that made carbide tooling and see if the cost could not be reduced.

I hope this has been of some help. There is no way, due to all the software
packages out there, for me to tell you exactly what to buy and what to use.
You have to decide what package will work with your controlling software.

I have found that Bobcad Gold, AutocadLT 2000 and the software that came
with the mill, will do for me as a small shop. It will be awhile before the
lathe is up and running and I will be able to try DeskNC on it. Also, I
have to change the controllers on the mill because it uses the serial port
and DeskNC works from the parallel port.

I do have several boards now for parallel ports but the mill uses 7 amp
motors and could damage the boards if I try them.

Earl
ebower@...