CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Digest Number 510

Posted by Andrew Werby
on 2000-05-30 09:29:01 UTC
Message: 2
Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 21:06:36 +1000
From: John Craddock <johncrad@...>
Subject: RE: visual mill, Rhino, Mastercam, BobCad, etc

Hi,
Just my two penneths worth! When one starts talking about 3d CAD / CAM with
Visual Mill, Mastercam, AutoCAD 2000 Plus plug-ins and Delcam variants, $$$
crop up. If one is considering these one should also look at XCAD/XCAM at
http://www.psc-cadcam.com . One can get into full 3d machining with 4TH axis
positioning with configurable post processor that has been used to drive EMC
(G code input) for under US$3k. It includes Z-level roughing and has
tool-path verification built right in. Will Also import IGES, DXF etc.
Regards
John C
Aust

[Well, perhaps X-cam has its advantages, being an integrated CAD-CAM
package, but it's not exactly the low-price leader. If you get Rhino
($500), plus DeskProto ($1200), you've still got enough left of your $3000
to buy a MaxNC 10 mill (not that I'd recommend it for serious stock
removal). Rhino will blow X-cam out of the water as far as 3d modeling is
concerned, and DeskProto allows for full 3d machining, roughing, has a
configurable post-processor, and supports 4th axis rotation too. It won't
import IGES, although Rhino can do that and export DXF or STL. I believe
X-cam is better for the 2 1/2 d stuff, although there are 3rd party
applications that will handle that cheaply- or even free. ]

Andrew Werby
http://www.computersculpture.com

Andrew Werby - United Artworks
Sculpture, Jewelry, and Other Art Stuff
http://unitedartworks.com

Discussion Thread

Andrew Werby 2000-05-30 09:29:01 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Digest Number 510