CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Galil - G code Frontend

Posted by geostabilizer
on 2005-03-02 07:42:04 UTC
Greetings All,

I have designed a VC++ application (I call it gdmc) that processes
gcode into Galil DMC commands for the 18XX type controller. Though
it is not ready for "prime time" yet it is very functional for
controlling a
100 watt CO2 laser in cutting and etching applications using gcode
programs generated from VisualMill and other sources.
An alpha version if gdmc is available (via a hefty 7MB email file)
however it has a "slight" problem at the moment. I just recently
added a .dxf file to gcode converter front end and now the "release"
version of the application crashes at the conclusion of dxf
converting but the "debug" version executes just fine. Go figure!

Some outdated screen shots are still at:
http://gmalone.mystarband.net

Cheers, George

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, Fred Pompei <bigbang@m...>
wrote:

> Hi lazercadman,
> If you know Galil , G-code and VB, you could write a class in VB
> interpret one to the other.
> Done it many times. You put a reader and a writer in the class.
> Open the G code file, Read a line(block), interpret and assemble a
new
> string, write line to file( in Galil code).
> You could run straight from the interpreted code if you are
adventurous(
> would be slow dependng on overhead).
> Better to write to file, easier to debug as you build the
interpreter.
> You don't need all G or M codes in it( or all the Galil code),
only the
> ones you use.
> You can always add new codes as you need them.
> Do it once, use it often.
> Email me direct if you would like a sample. I'm not sure this is
what
> this list does.
> I'm new here.
> Good luck.
> Best regards,
> Fred
>

> lazercadman wrote:
>

> >I have a Galil controller and am wondering if there are any new
leads
> >for a G Code front end besides Camsoft, which is way out of my
price
> >range. I use Galil controllers for the custom machines I build at
> >work. I also use Visual Basic for the control of the Galils. On
these
> >machines I don't need G Code as they are specialized. I can write
> >Galil code well and this is mostly how my machines work. The VB
just
> >runs threads on the Galil. At home with my mill and controller, I
> >would like to use G Code programming instead of the lengthy
process
> >of Galil programming. I run servos, and would switch to Mach 2,
but I
> >would need to replace my amplifiers and motors. Not a very
economical
> >option since I already have a working system. I also don't want
> >spend $100/axis for Rutex's step and direction to analog
converters.
> >I like the Galil because it gives me all the I/O I ever need and
the
> >option to do complex motions at speeds that are better than step
> >systems. Again, I already have all the motors and amps wired and
> >working well. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Discussion Thread

lazercadman 2005-03-01 12:13:24 UTC Galil - G code Frontend Fred Pompei 2005-03-01 23:11:07 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Galil - G code Frontend geostabilizer 2005-03-02 07:42:04 UTC Re: Galil - G code Frontend