CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Tree Mill Journeyman 300 retrofit

Posted by apaulsalerno
on 2005-03-15 00:16:24 UTC
Hey Dan How are you? When will we see pictures of the Tree?

aka Halfnutz

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Mauch" <dmauch@s...>
wrote:
> I am nearly done with the finals details on the Tree mill retrofit.
The last
> big problem that I ran into was there was more than normal noise
coming from
> the two speed gear and pulley driven spindle drive. So I took it
apart and
> was surprised to see fiberglas insulation packed around the inside
of the
> casting. There is a lube system that pumps oil to the countershaft
pinon
> gear and the spindle backgear. Of course the fiberglass was
saturated with
> oil. So I figured that it was added as a sound dampening. I removed
it.
> While cleaning the spindle gear case I also noticed two things. 1.
there was
> groove in the lower casting that looked like it was machined 2.
there were
> metal chips at the tangent of the pinion and bull gear. When I
removed the
> bull gear and cleaned it I found some significant pitting of some
of the
> pressure side of the teeth caused apparently by water entering
into the
> upper casting. This pitting was only on about 1/3 of the teeth. I
checked
> and found that there were no replacement gears to be had. I also
noticed
> that the back side of each tooth was fairly smooth. So I cleaned up
the gear
> and decided to mount it upside down since the gear was nearly
symetical
> from top to bottom thus I would have a new and better condition
teeth in
> contact with the pinion that was in great shape.
> I ascertained that the groove in the bottom of the casting was
caused by
> the machine not being properly reassembled at some point in its
history. I
> noticed that the upper bearing retaining lock nut wasn't all the
way on the
> shaft threads. While I had it diassembled I lapped the threads in
so I
> could bottom the nut. When I reassembled the unit and test ran it I
found it
> to be a lot quieter. In the high speed position where the bull gear
is
> disengaged the only noise was normal motor noise. At 6600 RPM it
really
> sounds like there is small turbine running. In low speed at about
1800 the
> gear noise is still there but drastically reduced.
> I only plan to use the machine about 10 hours a week so I think I
will pass
> on having a new gear made.
> The only things left to do is to do some more cleaning and
painting. I plan
> retain the existing electrial enclosures and after removing all the
> electronics weld in shelves for tool holders, cutters and other
supplies. I
> think my $750 Ebay milling machine was worth the work put into it
and I
> enjoyed and looked forward to getting all the "rode hard and put
away wet
> problems" repaired and working like a good used but still with
plenty of
> life left in it.
>
> Dan
> Camtronics Inc
> www.seanet.com/~dmauch

Discussion Thread

Dan Mauch 2005-03-14 07:37:31 UTC Tree Mill Journeyman 300 retrofit apaulsalerno 2005-03-15 00:16:24 UTC Re: Tree Mill Journeyman 300 retrofit Dan Mauch 2005-03-15 13:20:59 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Tree Mill Journeyman 300 retrofit