CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Seperated Jaws

Posted by metlmunchr
on 2005-03-18 08:27:36 UTC
The only way a 2 piece vise is even remotely useful is by mounting
both halves on a subplate with a series of drilled and tapped holes,
and keys for locating the vise halves to various separations. Then
you can bolt this whole mess to the table. The concept seems useful
(2 pc vise), but the actuality is that, as you try to tighten the vise
to hold the part, the clamping force pushes the vice halves apart and
out of alignment. I've got an 8" one that hasn't been off the shelf
in 3 years. Its been used on only a couple jobs, and if I had it to
do over again, I'd never buy one.

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Rob" <rob@s...> wrote:
> Hello,
> Does anyone in the group own or have used Seperated Vise Jaws? If
so I was
> wondering what could be expeced with their parrallelism and holding?
I'm
> specifically wanting to use them on my Round Column Mill Drill.
>
> For those who don't know what I'm referring to:
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3880884274
>
> Thanks,
> Rob

Discussion Thread

Rob 2005-03-17 17:35:05 UTC Seperated Jaws metlmunchr 2005-03-18 08:27:36 UTC Re: Seperated Jaws Bruce Pigeon 2005-03-18 10:36:35 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Seperated Jaws Ron Kline 2005-03-18 10:41:20 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Seperated Jaws